What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plants from lowes

my kids bought me a darlingtonia, a Nep and Rubra for christmas gifts.  I've had them all together in a terrarium in my bedroom (michigan) ever since.  The rubra is the only one that looks like its doing good.  What should I do about putting them into dormancy?  Appreciate any help
smilie4.gif

My first instinct is to tell you that it is too late to initaite dormancy. The Nep isn't a dormancy plant. No, keep them by the window sill until winter decides to go away and then consider putting them outside until November.

You can skip Dormancy for the first winter after you buy them, since they're most likely just out of TC. Or so I've been told. I was in a similar situation last year when I bought an S. rubra from Lowe's just before christmas. It skipped dormancy, grew well over the spring and summer and is in it's first dormancy now.

I agree with Cynic81 it's to late and the plants will be so happy you rescued them from Lowes they'll grow nice and big,LOL
smile_n_32.gif
I didn't see anyone address the NEP as this ovisouly need's no dromancy. I'm sure you knew that. I've saved plants from Lowes during Dec. and Jan. and do not give them a dormancy.

Back