What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photographs 2005 season

From last year: S. 'dixie lace'

101_0170.jpg

S, purpurea

101_0169.jpg

Group photo

134.jpg

Here are a couple of my S. moorei "Big Red" taken today.

Enjoy
Steve

mbg1.JPG

mbg2.JPG

It is fascinating and heartening to see these beautiful, healthy plants being grown on balconies in cities. It is nice to bring some nature with you when you live in the city...I grew Silene Regia in pots in my apartment for years. I rented a garden plot from the city, too.

You all have beautiful plants, no matter where they're grown!

How tall is that S. moorei "big red"? I am assuming that fence is 48 inches, and that one pitcher looks to be taller than that
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Actually thats an illusion of the photo. The pitcher is about 20 inches tall. I have it sitting on a small table to get better angles to take pics of it.

Steve

VFTGUY- your photos are once again superb! I might have some photos to post leter on in the day

A couple pics from this afternoon: Here's a complex hybrid, I think it's S. x willisii x flava 'Copper Top' awaiting dinner.

S_x_wilesii_x_flava_Copper_Top.sized.jpg

And here's a Judith Hindle with tall flower:

S_Judith_Hindle.sized.jpg

Capslock

Nice plants Caps! Further proof that I should move out West.

After being neglected in a greenhouse for far too long, i'm starting to get some halfway decent looking pitchers again.

'Blackened Redfish':
blackenedredfish.jpg

'Boob Tube':
boobtube.jpg

leucophylla x (psitt x rubra):
leucoxgilp.jpg

S. minor. tried to get a pic of the plant in the shade, with the windows illuminated from behind. like everything else in life, i failed miserably:
minors.jpg

Here's a seedling from a cross i did.  Forgot to jot down which one it was.  it might be (oreophila x willisii) x (flava x psitt).  looks like it has potential to be a nice all red plant:
2yr.jpg

i believe this seedling is areolata x (psitt x swaniana).  just about has all the species in it:
2yr2.jpg

an unknown hybrid seedling.  all the pitchers thus far (not counting the early proto-pitchers) have looked like this.  I either have something kind of cool here, or some bug or something is having it's way with it:
2yr3.jpg

an unknown i got from CA Carnivores years ago.  probably the oldest plant i have.  not sure what's in it.  has rubra-sized flowers with salmony-orange petals:
calunk.jpg

'Dixie Lace' x purpurea:
dixiexpurpurea.jpg

excellens x formosa:
excxform.jpg

'Ladies in Waiting' & 'Judith Hindle':
ladyjudith.jpg

a hybrid seedling i'm particularly excited about.  the mom was the leuco x (psitt x rubra) shown in my previous post in this thread.  i pollinated it with S. alata nigrapurpurea.  Only a year old, but looking pretty good, color-wise.  Interesting shape too:
lxgxa.jpg

These last two were just labelled as UNCC hybrids.  Not sure what they are.  First one looks a lot like 'Boob Tube'.  The Second one, I don't have any clue.  I'm thinking a black tube alata is in it's mix though.  It had tiny red flowers, if I remember correctly.  It's one of the darkest plants I have:

uncc.jpg

uncc2.jpg

Awesome photos Aaron!  

Most of my spring pitchers are fading fast in the intense CA sun, temps well into the 90's F, and humidity in the teens. It's nice to know that I can live vicariously through yours and others' photos of prisitine condition.

Keep 'em coming!

It's terribly quiet in here. What, did the worms eat everyone's plants?

something sure used the few leaves my flava has left as a snack
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Ok, Let's get this party started!

Flavas: ornata? in front, rubricorpa in back with a moorei.

killerornata.jpg

^ O.O

::Covets::

Here's a youngster I picked up this year, it's (alata x minor) x (oreophila x minor). The overhanging hood from minor is very pronounced:
axmxoxm.jpg

The next two are two different plants of the same cross, which is (flava x catesbaei) x minor. The first is a another youngster I picked up this year:
pxfxfxminor.jpg

The second is the cultivar 'Extreme Unction', a very nicely colored-up one at that:
extremeu.jpg

'June Bug', with the insect level visible in the pitcher on the right. Has only been open for a few days:
junebug.jpg

'Love Bug', finally rebounding after a battle with aphids earlier this year:
lovebugnew.jpg

An unknown hybrid, seemingly with S. minor in it. Has lg. red flowers:
unknown.jpg

Another unknown which I have been calling rubra x (purp x rubra). Seems to fit. Flowers are about identical to a rubra.
unknownpr.jpg

forgot to add this one in the previous post.
'Tis oreophila x minor

oreoxminor.jpg

Sflavacomparisonresize.jpg

If it shows up, the photo is a pic of my S. flava 'cuprea' with a S. flava 'rubricorpora' for comparison. The coppertop lids amaze me every year...

Back