What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photographs 2005 season

Nice backdrop, pity the flower is a bit blurry. Sorry, couldn't resist
smile.gif
smile_n_32.gif

A clearer (and hopefully more 56k friendly ;) ) flower pic

CAM_0351.jpg

Brooks--

Thanks for the kind words. CA has been kind with an early and mild spring thus far. I imagine that the best is yet to come when the rest of the country catches up. I'll keep posting until the heat catches up with me. Then I can bow down to the masters.

Yayyy  I finally get to get in on the act...  

Here are a few of mine.

Incidently, KingDom, I have a plant here that looks EXACTLY like the one you posted as  S. flava rubricorpora x moorei burgundy, that I also obtained from Phil Faulisi, only he has mine labeled as S. moorei "Big Red". I think I might be mislabeled as he was in the process of transplanting one of his bogs when I visited in late December. Maybe Phil can clarify after he sees this.

Enjoy the pics,
Steve

S. moorei "Big Red"
bigredsize2.JPG

bigredmouthsize.JPG

bigredresize.JPG

Also labeled as S. moorei "Big Red"
bigred2size.JPG

bigred2asize.JPG

S. flava "Red Tube"
flavaredtubesize.JPG

S.leucophylla "Huricane Creek white"
hcwhitesize.JPG

S. leucophylla "Purple Lips" (this is one of my favorites..  affectionately refered to as "The 2 Towers")
purplelipssize.JPG

EDIT: Here are a few more that I am too lazy to resize for posting. Slow connection warning!!

Enjoy
smile.gif

Steve

Various S. flava
S. oreophilla
S. leucophylla "red"
leuco red
S. x "Judith Hindle"
S. purpurea
S. purpurea
S. x "Catesbei"
S. x "Catesbei"
leuco reds in "Catesbei" pot
"Purple Lips"
"Purple Lips"
"Purple Lips"
"Purple Lips"

vft guy in SJ,

Great looking plants you have there!

I believe that your first "Big Red" post is most likely a sibling to my S. flava rubricorpora x moorei burgundy and that the second  "Big Red" plant is indeed the moorei hybrid that I have admired for quite some time: Phil's coveted plant that adorns Peter D'Amato's Savage Garden book spine and a couple of other pages of text.

Your "red tube' plant looks like it may be of hybrid origin too. I can see some leuco- ruffled edges and areoles in the pitcher lid.

With my 56K (more like 28K sometimes) connection, I am too impatient to wait for your other linked photos to load.

Good Growing!

Dom

Ok guys, here's the scoop:

VFT guy - the first 3 pics are definitely my flava rubracorpora.Those are not areolae in the lid but rather red veins that slowly bleed out to cover up most remaining green until it is nearly solid red. You're doing very well with it and I'm happy to say that you're dispelling the 'myth' that red tube flavas lose their color after division or repotting. They do not! They only lose their color with insufficient cultural techniques and you've done a splendid job. You can expect to get a lid up to 5 inches across on this clone.

The next 2 photos are definitely my S. moorei "Big Red", the same as pictured in Peter's book. I originally id'd the plant as "burgundy", but later changed it to "Big Red" due to it's eventual size and rich raspberry red color. At maturity you can expect these to reach the 36" range and larger. Before dividing them up I had several that hit 38". Once they have been divided they take several years to gain strength to reach maximum size. This clone should be left to grow for at least 3 to 5 years if you want it to reach its potential.

Photo #6 could possibly be my readii "Phil's Giant" x moorei "Big Red" but we'll have to wait to see it's final color and shape. I don't remember if I gave you any of those so it could turn out to be another moorei.

Dom: You did a great job with the flava red x moorei "burgundy" but you can change the name if you like or leave it as is. On this clone you can expect pitchers in the 30-36" range in solid maroon red. Some of mine turned nearly black last summer. Quite something indeed. Keep up the good work.

It's very rewarding to see so many of my 'babies' being grown so well.

Be well.
Phil

Here are a couple of plants I too got from Phil Faulisi. These are sister plants to the ones Dominic and kcc have a few pages back. All Phil's plants are from seed, so no two are exactly alike.

S. readii x moorei
readii_x_moorei.sized.jpg

S. oreophila x moorei
oreophila_x_moorei.sized.jpg

oreophila_x_moorei_pitcher.sized.jpg

Thanks Phil!

Think how boring our collections would be if it weren't for him...

Some of the rest of my plants...

S. leucophylla 'Titan'
leucophylla_titan.sized.jpg

S. x 'Judith Hindle'
judith_hindle.sized.jpg

S. alata nigrapurpurea - I was really surprised this one flowered this year. The flower is maybe 9" tall at most.
alata_nigrapurpurea.sized.jpg

S. flava var. rugelii flower, showing the not-quite-typical flava flower form as discussed in this thread:
rugelii_flower.sized.jpg

Compare to, say, this var. cuprea flower:
cuprea_flower.sized.jpg

Some flower pics.

S.x alata red likd x flava
Flower1.jpg

S.x mitchelliana
Flower2.jpg

S.x alata x flava 'Burgundy'
Flower3.jpg

S.x catesbaei x oreophila
Flower4.jpg

S. rubra gulfensis antho-free
S_gulfensisAntho0309.JPG

S. rubra gulfensis
S_rubraGulfensis0178.JPG

S. rubra jonesii
S_rubraJonesii0183.JPG

S. rubra "Long Lid"
S_rubraLonglid0306.JPG

S. psittacina
S_psittacina0225.JPG

S. oreophila
S_oreophila0223.JPG

S. minor
S_minor0192.JPG

S. x wrigleyana
S_wrigleyana0190.jpg

S. 'Hummer's Hammerhead'
S_hammerhead0354.JPG

From the (wet) greenhouse:

greenfar.jpg

S. flava var. atropurpurea just opening
atro.jpg

S. oreophila Sand Mountain
oreo.jpg

Side of greenhouse
side.jpg

Flowers
flowers.jpg

areolata.jpg

Went to the North Carolina Botanical Gardens today. I'll have more pics up once I find a network that will play nice with photobucket, but here's a few shots to tide you over.

CAM_0357.jpg

CAM_0359.jpg

Coming soon: So much CP goodness, you'll wet your pants
smile_n_32.gif

That last one looks like a 'Leah Wilkerson'.

Hey Brooks, when them biddies gonna hatch?

Tweek

Wow! Love the little pink S.x formosa at the front.

Actually, the pot up front is filled with S. x 'boob tube'

i've never seen the parentage of 'Boob Tube', but it wouldn't suprise me if it's a x formosa, or something similar to that cross. it definitely has psitt in it.

Tweek, that is NO Leah Wilkerson. Leah looks way different from that. The one Brooks sent me is vastly different from many other moorei. And a lot more colorful than the one you thought was Leah-like. WHATTA CLONE! The open mouth on my Leah can handle a credit card it is so big! And only 29" tall. Looking forward to the summer crop of leaves, the biggest leaves of the season.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ May 27 2005,8:53)]The open mouth on my Leah can handle a credit card it is so big! And only 29" tall. Looking forward to the summer crop of leaves, the biggest leaves of the season.
Hey Bugweed, if you're gonna feed your credit cards to Leah, send them to me instead! My Leah is not quite that big yet, so I have to fold dollar bills over a couple of times...
smile_m_32.gif

Back