Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yahoooo!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img]
    I had no idea this thread would get such a response! Well, the minor is one of a few sars I brought out of dormancy early this year (i.e. couldn't wait). Also my oreo, x 'Moreii' (thank you Mr. Weed), x 'Doodle Bug', 'Scarlette Belle' and maybe one other (can't remeber of the top of my head). Those haven't shown scape yet, but I still have and older flava, leuco, leuco tarnok and leuco 'red' waiting to break dormancy (if they made it, that is...not too confident on that flava...didn't look great last summer). Hope the leuco and leuco red flower for me, too.

Pondboy, I would be very interested in pollen, but have no idea how to remove it or ship it (I assume we would swap pollen, then share seeds, right).
    If you enlighten me, you're on. I think mine is from TC, though, as I got it from an online nursery.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To post pollen the best thing would be to get as much pollen onto a paintbrush as possible and wrap the brush part in foil. Then secure with sellotape and post the whole paintbrush.
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To ship pollen, try carefully to remove a few of the anthers just as they are beginning to pop. Place these in a small wax paper envelope then wrap in small bubble wrap and mail. You can also collect a lot of pollen on the end of a very clean, unused paint brush and tap this over a piece of clean white paper. Tap the pollen grains into the wax paper envelope along with the fresh anthers, or just by itself. The anthers should be allowed to "air ripen" in a warm, draft free area of bright light. This process has worked beautifully for me for many years.

Have fun breeding.

Phil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must be missing some exciting part of this hobby, because I dont care in the slightest to let my Sarrs flower!
    I cut the buds off just like VFTs!
    I never let the flowers open, because I dont care about seeds, and I would rather have that energy go into the production of pitchers..
    its just odd to me to see people so excited about flowers when I dont care about them at all!
    to each their own I suppose..

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (scottychaos @ Mar. 16 2005,11:33)]I never let the flowers open, because I dont care about seeds, and I would rather have that energy go into the production of pitchers..
    The flowers are formed the previous fall in Sarracenia, so cutting them off in the spring saves the plant minimal energy at best. If you don't want seeds, just remove the flowers once the petals fall. Or better yet, save the seeds and give them away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (schloaty @ Mar. 16 2005,8:55)][img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img]
    I had no idea this thread would get such a response! Well, the minor is one of a few sars I brought out of dormancy early this year (i.e. couldn't wait). Also my oreo, x 'Moreii' (thank you Mr. Weed), x 'Doodle Bug', 'Scarlette Belle' and maybe one other (can't remeber of the top of my head). Those haven't shown scape yet, but I still have and older flava, leuco, leuco tarnok and leuco 'red' waiting to break dormancy (if they made it, that is...not too confident on that flava...didn't look great last summer). Hope the leuco and leuco red flower for me, too.

Pondboy, I would be very interested in pollen, but have no idea how to remove it or ship it (I assume we would swap pollen, then share seeds, right).
    If you enlighten me, you're on. I think mine is from TC, though, as I got it from an online nursery.
    Well my S.minor-Long County Georgia`s flower is just about to open. I`m thinking I could put some ripe pollen into some tinfoil or onto a Q-tip,put it in the freezer, and ship it to you when your`s is just about ready.
    I wouldn`t realy need the seeds,but if you would like to send me some come fall I won`t object!
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]I`m thinking I could put some ripe pollen into some tinfoil or onto a Q-tip,put it in the freezer, and ship it to you when your`s is just about ready.
    That would be great! And I would naturally share the seeds 50/50 (providing I'm successfull in my pollination attempt, that is).
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah but Dean runs a business that is based on how many plants he can grow (and flower) and I would not consider asking Brooks, I'd go insane. I have open right now:
    S. flava 'Cook's Bayou, Fl'
    S. purpurea ssp.purpurea x. rubra (It has a red flower just FYI, I think most do though)
    I will have
    6 S. minors if they do not abort
    2 S. alatas
    1 S. flava
    1 S. leucophylla x. psitticenia
    1 S. 'Scarlet Belle'
    3 S. purpurea ssp. venosa var. burkii 'Buck Pond'

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast