What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarr rotting!

Hi, my S. "Rose Witt" is rotting away! It`s started on the growth point so I removed the mushy part. It still has a couple of pitchers and a little bit of rhizome left. Unfortunately I have no access to fungacides(and not enough money to buy some). Any input would be VERY apreciated as this plant is very dear to me. Thanks,
Noah.

Cut back all the mushy parts off the rhizome with a knife, until you are left with just white hard material. You may have to hack a lot and might just be left with a little stump
smile_h_32.gif

Good luck.

Well I did what you said and it only left me with a sliver of rhizome less then the diameter and thickness of a dime! I sure hope it recovers. Do I need to treat it differeowntly ? Take it out o,
out of dormancy? Give more\less water?

Thanks,

I would bring it out of dormancy and keep it normally, with water. You'll have to be vigilant watching for more botrytis - dusting with sulphur is a good preventative measure.

Botrytis can be hard to overcome when it's got a hold on a plant unfortunately, so I hope it survives!

Be careful around your other plants and make sure you sterilize your knife before you use it on other plants. It is easy to be the carrier of all sorts of plant diseases and pests as you move from plant to plant. If you have a diseased plant, it is best to isolate it.

Chamomile(as in tea) is a good fungicide, so is cinnamon..........

Back