What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Repotting into a big pot.

Just thinking out loud here..
with most regular houseplants, its generally a BAD idea to pot a plant in a pot that is far too large for it..
mainly becase the pot will hold too much water and could rot/damage the roots.
so you want to pot your houseplants in pots that are not too small, not too large, but just right.

but with CPs, does it really matter if a pot is 'too big"?
being "too wet" isnt really an issue! ;)
suppose you got a nice mature Sarracenia,
would there be any positive or negative aspects to putting it in a huge gallon-size pot of spagnum moss??
as opposed to a much smaller 5" pot?

the only difference I can think of is that with the large gallon pot, you would need to keep a much higher water table in your "tray" when watering with the tray method..
you would probably need standing water at least half-way up the side of the pot..
which means you have a huge amount of saturated moss at the bottom of the pot..
and maybe 6" of moss above the water level.
so the surface could be much drier, and the bottom much wetter, than a regular small pot.
you are basically making a mini-bog with only plant in it!

as opposed to the "regular" small pot and tray method, where you have maybe one inch of water in the tray and only 2 or 3 inches of moss above the water level.

thoughts?
thanks,
Scot

WHAT!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! And grow a really large sarracenia? Are you outta your mind? You want a big, healthy, robust sarracenia? Well, thats the way to do it!!! Follow that route, and it might eat you, Scotty!!!

Hi Scotty -

Last spring I repotted a S. purp from a 6 inch pot to a 1.5 gallon pot. It thanked me by sending up 3 flower scapes and was just HUGE by the end of summer. My S. leucos in half or gallon pots are much bigger than their counterparts in the recycled 16 oz sour cream containers.

This pot is about a foot in diameter:
20041009-CP-show-S.purpurea-SchloatPic.jpg

Schloaty's 'Bog Bowl' lower left, and other goodies from the 2004 NECPS Show. Note the Sarr to Pot Size ratios...:
20041009-NECPS-show-standout%20plants.jpg

I've grown Sarracenia in large gallon size pots in the past and never had a problem, and I wouldn't keep water nearly as deep as 6 inches up the side of the pot.  More like  1 to 2 inches.  Because of the water holding properties of Peat and Spahgnum it wicks the water up plenty hight into the pot.  It's simmilar to setting a large sponge into a tray of water, after a few minutes the entire sponge is saturated.  

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ Mar. 18 2005,8:05)]WHAT!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! And grow a really large sarracenia? Are you outta your mind? You want a big, healthy, robust sarracenia? Well, thats the way to do it!!! Follow that route, and it might eat you, Scotty!!!
Yeah BW, I know you told me to leave the Rubra in bowl it came in........but I had a nice beautiful 3Gal. pot all picked out for it. Plus I was reeeeely hungry for cerial one day and ,well , you get the pitcher.....err....picture.

Are those flytraps between the green N. ampullaria and what looks like S. 'Judith Hindle' ? They look like they are enormous!

Cheers,

Joe

Yep, those are flytraps. By the way, here are some pics of Jeff Matheson's amazing VFT Bowl. The 'feeding station' at the show:
2004100915-NECPS-show-VFT%20feeding-Bryan%20and%20the%20pot-o-VFTs.jpg

The VFT Bowl:
20041009-NECPS-show-standout%20plants-D.muscipula-Big%20bowl-o-VFTs.jpg

Holy Moly that's a lot of flytraps!

nice! I grow all my plants in gallon pots, even the seedlings which arent even a year old! they love it, they grow at about 1 pitcher per week

that is a really huge ampularia!!!!!!!

Danm, how old is that?

T_T my VFTs/VFT collection are dwarfed compared to those,
man, if i had that many VFT, i would spend all day feeding the traps and watching like 500+ more traps pop up the next week ^^
then... repeat!!!
Hellz

Hey all, I have a big pot tip for you.  If you go to your local grocery store's floral department you can get 10" heavy duty black plastic pots free.  These are 2 gallon size, and are 9" deep making them perfect for sarracenia root systems.  You do have to drill or cut drainage holes into the bottom, but these pots will last for years and hold up to UV light better than most plastics.  Be nice to your produce and floral man/lady  
smile_m_32.gif

Oh, I forgot to mention that you have to specify the cylindrical standard looking pots they get to hold flowers, not the fluted display ones.

Back