What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How is everyone growing their heli's?

i just purchased a H. minor and was wondering how everyone is growing theirs? i planted it in a mix of 2 parts perlite, 1 part LFS, 1 part peat and placed it in a tray along side some of my Utrics as they arent in quite as bright a place for now and its fairly humid. when it settles in i will move it to a brighter location. so any hints or tips with this Genus? my last attempt was a failure but i found an older, more acclimated plant this time so it should settle in better.

I keep mine in a terrarium, its a mature H. nutans so it might be more hardy, but I give it mists daily and at night I turn on the fogger temps are abput 75 in the day about 60 at night

Well drained mix. Which it sounds like you have.
Moist but not overly sopping wet all the time.
Bright light and cool temperatures during the day with some temperature drop at night.. basic highland like conditions.

They should be potted so that the base is just a touch below the soil level. I think the biggest problem is rotting down at the base where the leaves emerge. This probably occurs most from potting too deep and/or too wet down in the crown of the plant.

Tony

Your potting mix sounds similar to mine. I grow my H. minor in with my highland nepenthes, closer to the lights, though. It looks great since I moved it in there about a year ago.

I would go 2:1 on perlite:peat(or perlite:sphag), but your mix is good. I have seen some Helis that look gorgeous that were grown in 100% peat.

Cheers,

Joe

I have two heliamphora hybrids growing in pure LFS.  I keep them in shade outdoors in a tropical climate.  I got them only a few months ago.  I wouldn’t say they are thriving, but they are still alive and slowly getting bigger.  They are not good bug catchers, so I have been relocating some of the bugs caught by my drosera to the helis.  They get top watered about twice a week.  I wonder how they will do as summer approaches and temperatures get warmer.  I hope that hybrid vigor kicks in.

Back