What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keeping squirrels away

I'm really sorry about your plant.

No pun intended but, "I feel your pain".

Cutest little critters but there are certain times of the year that I'd really like to ring their little necks.

funny iv never had problems with the local squirrls or birds.

Why Finch...
You've (cough gag gasp for air) never experienced the joys of squirrelhood? Might I have your mailing address so that my excess may be shared with you. These "things" are just so much fun that no one should hoard. It just wouldn't be right.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LauraZ5 @ Mar. 27 2005,11:25)]I'm really sorry about your plant.

No pun intended but, "I feel your pain".

Cutest little critters but there are certain times of the year that I'd really like to ring their little necks.
I'm seriously thinking of changing my avatar to a squirrel centered in crosshairs.

They are an acceptable replacement for skeet.

Now now Scott, you're supposed to be sensitive to the squirrel's need to destroy everything and anything you have growing that they can get their little front feetsies in.

Personally, I may resort to satiating my need to feed myself and I was forwarded several really nice squirrel recipes that are beginning to look quite tasty to me indeed. Now if I could just REALLY have enough in me to pull the trigger.

Please let me know if you find a way to create an avatar with a squirrel in cross hairs as I would love for you to create a new avatar for me that has an English House Sparrow in cross hairs.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LauraZ5 @ Mar. 28 2005,9:17)]Now now Scott, you're supposed to be sensitive to the squirrel's need to destroy everything and anything you have growing that they can get their little front feetsies in.

According to whom?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LauraZ5 @ Mar. 28 2005,9:17)]Personally, I may resort to satiating my need to feed myself and I was forwarded several really nice squirrel recipes that are beginning to look quite tasty to me indeed. Now if I could just REALLY have enough in me to pull the trigger.

Please let me know if you find a way to create an avatar with a squirrel in cross hairs as I would love for you to create a new avatar for me that has an English House Sparrow in cross hairs.
You'd just need PhotoShop, and a google image search.

Unfortunately, i lack PhotoShop.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]According to whom?
I've seen some rather interesting threads that were quite polarized on the issue.

I don't have PhotoShop either.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LauraZ5 @ Mar. 29 2005,9:50)]I've seen some rather interesting threads that were quite polarized on the issue.
I bet!

I generally don't mind squirrels.  They're cute little critters, but they're territorial.  When one starts getting into your plants it will KEEP getting into your plants.  And when that happens, I start spreading poison.

Too bad my cats are such wussies. I might actually like them if they were killing machines that turned birds and squirrels into cat poop, anstead of sleeping machines that turn cat food into cat poop.

If you got one of those guns that shoot hard plastic beads with compressed gas or air, I'm sure the squirrels will eventually get the idea that their easy pickings were not quite so easy. But they may be too stupid to migrate to more hospitable terrain even if they got smacked by the plastic beads quite often.

Here is a photo of Sciurus carolinensis:
grey_cross_webb.jpg

Original photo by donald reeve.

You have a very good sight picture Joseph.  Now, take a deep breath, let half of it out and squeese ever so lightly on the trigger.  POOF!
Problem solved.  
laugh.gif

yeah its funny that i enjoy them in my yard as they wonder exept the fact they destroy my plants. You really dont see any other wild animal in my yard anyway.

Man, if only we didn't live in the frickin' suburbs, I'd be saving up for a BB gun right now.

Anyway, I think I finally figured out a way to keep them out... my outdoor plants (see growlist, everything except Nep, Ping and adelae) are all on the top shelf of my greenhouse (looks exactly like the one behind NickHubbel's head in his pic in his profile, except mine's orange), and I recently put the vinyl covering back on it, cut out two large square panels from the top so the plants could get direct, unfiltered sun without frying, and then, since both zippers on the front flap of the covering broke (@#$%...), I took a bunch of safety pins and pinned it shut, spacing the pins about 4 inches apart. The squirrels got into the greenhouse through the top, which I expected, so I took one of the lower metal mesh shelves that I had no use for at that point and time and placed it on the top two parallel bars above the top shelf, so now the squirrels can't get in unless they figure out for to lift the shelf, since one top plastic part of the greenhouse was assembled BACKWARDS, so due to the arrangement of the notches, I couldn't actually snap the two bars into place to set the shelf on top of, so they're just sitting up there. Anyway, hopefully the squirrels won't figure out how to get in through the spaces between the safety pins on the front flap, but they haven't so far, so we're good.

Back