What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cobra plants

Is stratfication required or I can just sow them asap and they still need cool water when they are seeds, or just when they start to grow?

I'm pretty sure the answer is, "Very much so." But, I'm not sure. My Darlingtonia showed no interest in sprouting until they'd had almost three months of stratification.
~Joe

If they haven't been stratified by someone else, the seeds DO need to be cold stratified.

If they are the seeds you received from me then they still need stratifacation.

Craig

Yea it's the seeds i got from you, well I guess i have to get them again from their pots and put them with the sarr seeds
smile_n_32.gif

Hi,
I have a questions about Darlingtonia, Venus Flytrap, sundew and I am want to by
more to extend my collection. I used to collect them a number of years ago
. I bought some a week ago, I have them in
a little plastic domes they came in. However the Darlingtonia is turning brown which concerns me.
I don't want to rush out and buy a new one unless I figure out how to keep
it going. I am confused about the humidity and lighting it needs.

I know it takes they need humidity but I am confused what to
about the lighting. Some people say east or west end not south, or south near window sill
in a terrarium not covered.
What is the best way to care for them this way.I would like to put them all in
a terrarium but I first want to get the lighting right before I put them in a terrairum.
I want them to get some sun and humidity. One place said to
take off the plastic dome and put them into the sun (south side). I am thinking of getting
some artificial light as well.
Any help appreciated. Please also reply to email below if you can . below
I am new to this list and it is great resource.
Dr. Eric Flescher ( dreric1kansas@aol.com),
Olathe, KS. USA
smile_h_32.gif

Your Darlingtonia and Venus flytraps you should be able to grow outside for most of the year as these plants appreciate full sun. I wouldn't worry about humidity as they can adapt and thrive pretty well. In the winter if it gets too cold for too long (like in the single digits for a couple weeks) you can bring them inside of an unheated garage or shed till the cold snap is over. However the cold is good for them as those two plants need a yearly dormancy or else they'll die after a couple years. I can't say much about the sundew as I am not sure what it is.

It sounds like you got them from a garden centre, which probably means they have been badly treated!

First of all, get rid of the plastic domes. I have no idea who thought they were a good idea - they just create stagnant air which in turn equals fungus.

Secondly, they have probably been given tap water. I'd repot them in sphagnum moss peat and permanently keep the pots sitting in a saucer of rain or distilled water.

Thirdly, most carnivorous plants love light. Give them as much sun as possible. A sunny south facing windowsill uis a good spot.

I would recommend you visit this website: FAQ

A good book to read is The Savage Garden by Peter D'Amato.

Once stratified, you can germinate the seeds on live spagnum. I have some in a tank 5" under growlights but a little shaded. I just keep them moist, it's about 70 F in there. I don't give it particularly cool water, so I suppose it might not matter at this point. I know later on it will be important however.

Back