What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flippin' ca carnivores

it's really your error.

send them back, get a refund if they will allow it.

Next time, Oh Great Venter, call Pete. I find Peter to be a very nice and reasonable fellow. I have to agree that you could have called him. Believe me, he would have listened, and tried his best to work with you.

I'm not going to take sides, but what the heck, since the topic was already started, I will share my first and only order from cc just a couple weeks ago.  I ordered a 3-yr old S.oreophila x flava "virginia", which I don't already have and got email confirmation for same.  What I got is this:  
680califcarnshpmnt-med.jpg

Read the tag and look at the plant behind it.  Funniest looking sarracenia I've ever seen.  Must be quite rare!  I sent a respectful email with the picture (note the tag taped around the pot just as I received it) the very same day I received it, expressing my disappointment at a 4-inch very scraggly drosera (which I already have plenty of) instead of what I ordered and paid for.  Never got a response.  And that for a whopping $20. plus shipping.   Well, I live and I learn... but why is it always the hard way?
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SarraceniaScott @ April 01 2005,4:44)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (sarracenia @ April 01 2005,6:21)]i suppose this will get deleted anyways, since it talks about a "rival" company.
I could be mistaken, but I am under the impression that only applies if you're discussing a product they sell that PFT also sells.
Well, I was told it's other nurseries period. I got in trouble for posting about a trip to California Carnivores and I posted about a dissapointing order from another nursery (none of the plants were also sold by PFT) and that post was deleted for "advertising" the other nursery.

LunaC ,

I recently received an order from cc (sarracenias and VFT) and had the same experience.  Guess what---the sarracenia is dormant and the sundew just happens to be growing in the same pot (they grow everywhere if conditions are right).  In fact, all my stuff from cc had all sorts of sundews growing in them.  Do what I did--pot up the sundew and give the Sarracenia some time.  Currently, my sarracenia are now sending up pitchers and all the sundews that came with them are also doing great.

Brian W

LunaC, uncover some soil around the center of the pot, and you should see a dormant ribozome which looks kind of like wood, and at the tip the ends of cut pitchers, that is the dormant sarracenia and should grow pitchers for you shortly. Looks like you have a D. Binita, one of my favorite sundews!

E-mail?? Haven't you got a mouth to talk with? Do you know how to use a phone?? E-mails are crap. CALL THE MAN!!!!!!!! Talk to his partner Marilee, or talk to Peter himself if you got screwed. IS there a plant in the pot bedside the sundews? Did you unearth a rhizome or not? If not, then call, use your mouth to voice your concerns, and take it from there. You make yourself a victim if you are not willing to act. NEVER e-mail! ALWAYS talk to the people in charge. Now you know who to talk to, now dial a phone if you did indeed get screwed.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Brian_W @ April 01 2005,10:21)]LunaC ,

I recently received an order from cc (sarracenias and VFT) and had the same experience.  Guess what---the sarracenia is dormant and the sundew just happens to be growing in the same pot (they grow everywhere if conditions are right).  In fact, all my stuff from cc had all sorts of sundews growing in them.  Do what I did--pot up the sundew and give the Sarracenia some time.  Currently, my sarracenia are now sending up pitchers and all the sundews that came with them are also doing great.

Brian W
Brian...thank you for a civilized response. That being my first order with cc, I would have expected to actually see the trimmed off pitchers and/or growth points of a 3-year old sarr rhizome in the pot. Since patience is a virtue, I will just wait patiently to see if a dormant rhizome does sprout. My other sarracenia are already sending up gorgeous new pitchers and flowers. I appreciate your input.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (peter @ April 01 2005,11:03)]LunaC, uncover some soil around the center of the pot, and you should see a dormant ribozome which looks kind of like wood, and at the tip the ends of cut pitchers, that is the dormant sarracenia and should grow pitchers for you shortly.  Looks like you have a D. Binita, one of my favorite sundews!
Thanks Peter for your suggestion. The only reason I haven't dug around in the pot is because 1) the binata looks fragile and I don't want to disturb it any further, especially after shipping. And 2) I have lots of sarracenia and am familiar with dormant rhizomes/growth points, etc, and I don't see any at the soil surface. As I said, I will wait patiently and see what happens naturally
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ April 01 2005,11:51)]E-mail?? Haven't you got a mouth to talk with? Do you know how to use a phone?? E-mails are crap. CALL THE MAN!!!!!!!! Talk to his partner Marilee, or talk to Peter himself if you got screwed. IS there a plant in the pot bedside the sundews? Did you unearth a rhizome or not? If not, then call, use your mouth to voice your concerns, and take it from there. You make yourself a victim if you are not willing to act. NEVER e-mail! ALWAYS talk to the people in charge. Now you know who to talk to, now dial a phone if you did indeed get screwed.
Ah, Bugweed. Duh! With all due respect...yes, I have a mouth to talk with. Yes, I even know how to use a telephone (gasp!). Emails are not crap...emails are a quick, efficient means of communication that are also cost-efficient for all parties involved. Why should I bear the cost of a long-distance telephone call when I can send an email along with a photo? Isn't that the reason people/companies provide their email addresses at their websites?

"IS there a plant in the pot beside the sundews? Did you unearth a rhizome or not?"
No, there is no visable plant in the pot beside the sundews. And no, I did not unearth a rhizome because it is not my habit to dig around a newly shipped and fragile, young plant to see what may lurk beneath the soil. Seems like that would be detrimental to the plant, wouldn't you think?

I hardly think I am a "victim"..I knew who to talk to before I ordered and it ain't a federal case. If I indeed "got screwed", then I will know better next time. In the meantime, I'll just chalk it up to experience, grow what I got, and stick to what I know and trust.

Ah come on Luna call him and complain whats the problem? If it was me I would be straight on the phone and shouting down it too!

And Im with Bugweed on the email thing.......if he deliberatly screwed you he would of course ignore the email or it might have never arrived or he might have got lots the same day when he was busy and wasnt able to read them all etc.

Wow, that's much more discourse over this than I expected. It was kind of a knee-jerk response. I should've learned by now. My only real beef was them sending 4 of the same cross, and then 2 of the same of another. My note with the order said I have a ton of hybrids (over 60+) and that I was hoping to get some complex crosses, not the common primary crosses like catesbaei, etc. I didn't include a list of them all, because I know they are very short-handed now and it would probably take someone at least 1/2 a day to go through the list and compare with their stock. I don't know how they operate, but based on past orders from them I was assuming they had tons of different hybrids, with a bunch of new, different ones each year. I have probaby ordered 5-6 of these collections in my life, and each time I received a wide variety of some pretty complex crosses. I guess I was expecting the same this time, hence the disappointment, especially of getting 4 of the same. Technically, I know they did nothing wrong. I think it's just one of those "on principle" things. I have since contacted them and they offered to send some more, and said I shouldn't have gotten 4 of the same. All's well that ends well.

LunaC,

I can understand your frustrations, however I can offer you some comfort. Take a look below at a similar plant I picked up at the nursery (CA Carnivores). I too have D. binata coming up as a groundcover surrounding the flava Virginia x oreo of the same seed batch. Give the dormant plant some time and you will ease your worries. I imagine the foliage was trimmed to aid in shipping.

fvxo.jpg

Yup! Talked to Pete. He said he always trims them way down as a way to prevent fungus or molds.. Should be coming up soon. And his e-mails do get read, mostly by other people who work for him. So some things might not get addressed that need to be addressed. E-mail is quick and efficient, but it depends on whether the party you really wanted to see it, actually sees it. LunaC, I think you will be ok. I can only imagine your shock. I keep forgetting I know Peter, and he is a very reputable person. Wait it out, and the rhizome will probably pop soon.

KingDom, beautiful flava Virginia x oreo!  And the d. binata is a really pretty color contrast in the pot!  I agree re: trimming back...I don't know any growers who don't trim foliage way back during dormancy.

Bugweed, I wasn't terribly shocked...more amused by the tag vs. the obvious d. binata. I still haven't seen any sign of emerging sarr growth, but I'm not too worried about it.  If it happens, it happens...if it doesn't, it doesn't.  
I also never felt like I was intentionally "screwed" (as other posters put it).  I just figured it was human error & no big deal.  I have plenty of other sarracenia to keep me happy, and besides what the heck....any CP is a good CP!  CC is very reputable, well respected and a valuable asset to the CP community, and I really wouldn't think otherwise.
Thank you both for your input.  
smile.gif

Back