What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flippin' ca carnivores

my semi-annual rant:

so it was my birthday a couple days ago. for my gift to myself, i decided to order 2 fancy sarra hybrid collections (12 plants altogether). i sent a little note with the order saying I have a ton of hybrids already, so if you could avoid common, primary hybrids, that would be appreciated. anyway, i get the order yesterday and what do I see?

out of the 12 plants:

4 are (rubra x oreophila) x purp, which I have 2 of already.
2 are leuco x rubra, which I have at least a couple of as well.
there was a catesbaei, a popei, and a leuco x oreo, all of which I have. i know they are all hybrids and will therefore be unique, but still?!? there were only 3 plants I got that I didn't already have: a willisii x flava cuprea, oreo x minor, and (alata x minor) x (oreo x minor).

am I wrong to feel miffed over this?

i suppose this will get deleted anyways, since it talks about a "rival" company.

well you could have specified what hybrids you already have.....
but they sent a fair amount of primary hybrids when you told them not to send primary hybrids so thats their fault

I would be annoyed like you if I told a nursery not to send a particular plant(s) and they sent it anyway

Mmm. Well I'm not surprised since you didn't specify! Those collections are designed for beginners who aren't bothered what they get, as long as they're nice.
Another certain well known nursery has 85 hybrids on their website you could have chosen.
smile_l_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Alvin Meister @ April 01 2005,6:48)]Mmm. Well I'm not surprised since you didn't specify! Those collections are designed for beginners who aren't bothered what they get, as long as they're nice.
Another certain well known nursery has 85 hybrids on their website you could have chosen.  
smile_l_32.gif
well, i did specify no primary hybrids. what i'm most miffed about is getting 4 of the same and 2 of the same. i've ordered a few of their collections over the years and have always gotten a bunch of wild, complex hybrids. don't know what the deal was this time though. as far as that other nursery, i have most of those already!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sarracenia @ April 01 2005,6:21)]i suppose this will get deleted anyways, since it talks about a "rival" company.
I could be mistaken, but I am under the impression that only applies if you're discussing a product they sell that PFT also sells.

I suppose you could have specified a bit more stillk though they should have sent you something better

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sarracenia @ April 01 2005,10:21)]my semi-annual rant:

so it was my birthday a couple days ago. for my gift to myself, i decided to order 2 fancy sarra hybrid collections (12 plants altogether). i sent a little note with the order saying I have a ton of hybrids already, so if you could avoid common, primary hybrids, that would be appreciated. anyway, i get the order yesterday and what do I see?
I do not see from your post that you told them, NO PRIMARY HYBRIDS. Generally you will need to be specific and say exactly what you mean. You only asked them to avoid common, primary hybrids, it would be appreciated. Your message does not say, not to send you primary hybrids.

When ever I order a clooection I sepecify what plants I would like. Most nurseries follw that or most of it since they do wnat our buisness since not that many people grow cps

Did you try to contact them about the problem yet?

i like ca carnivores. Since you didn't' specify, hey, its not they're fault. FOr all they knew, these were your first plants. And think of it this way, now you can trade for better hybrids.

I agree, I think you should've told them which plants you have. I have never ordered from them, mainly because of prices. I mean the price of D. capensis alone is a joke. It's probably the most common sundew in cultivation and the easiest to propogate. I have one about to flower now, and within 6 months could probably have 150 plants from that one if I wanted them.

well he did say to avoid them........avoid means dont include it.

they said call for a list of hybrids available. Did you happen to call??
confused.gif
smile_n_32.gif

I bet it feels like everyone's ganging up on you here!

I do agree that if you stated 'no primary hybrids', then you should have got only more complicated crosses. You live and learn.

I was just saying that maybe they didn't have any comp. left, they sent you those ones, and since you didn't "call for availability", they were right in filling your order with what they had available.

One day I will order from Calif. Well when I have money and find a plant I would like to order

I recently ordered the collecton of Mexican Pinguicula from California Carnivores. I made a point of telling them exactly what I already had in my collection and they were very careful about not including duplicates of what I already had.  

I don't want to make you feel any worse about this matter, but you really should have been more specific with your order.

Sarracenia,

I'm gonna have to side with the crowd. . .  and CA Carnivores for that matter. The collection you ordered clearly states "Our selection," as do many other nurseries, hatcheries, etc. The whole purpose of assembling and offering a collection is to put together a compilation of plants that allows the vendor to balance inventory and pass on the savings as an end result. It wouldn't be financially feasible to offer a "you choose" collection of $20 each plant for say half that much where you select only what you want. Otherwise, you would defeat the purpose of the OUR CHOICE. I have purchased plants from many sources and know the owners there to be fair and accommodating. Now if you purchased a specific fancy hybrid and paid the amount stated, and then didn't get what you expected, then you'd have grounds for complaint. A phone call may have alleviated your frustrations.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (KingDom079 @ April 01 2005,1:52)]The collection you ordered clearly states "Our selection"... A phone call may have alleviated your frustrations.
Absolutely good advice. I am not aware of any CP vendors that are getting rich at their commercial hobby. Most are in the business as a way to support their CP addiction. The successful ones try hard to have happy customers. The constant refrain from these small businesses is, "If only they would let me know ..." Rather than moaning in a public forum, try contacting the company first. If the problem was not your own sloppy communication in ordering, and if it was their fault and they tell you to stuff it, then you have some basis for complaint.

Back