What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to stop cross polination

I have several Sarrs sending up flowers for the first time this year. I would like to keep the seed pure. Any suggestions, links, experience, etc. would be gratly appreciated.

I can seperate the plants but I'm afraid that that won't be a sure fire way to keep from cross polination. There are lots of polinators in my area.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Glenn

Muslin bags are commonly used to cover the flowers.

i cover my flowers with cheescloth.

Or leave them open hand pollinate them and hope no insects pollinate them. They will probibly open at different times anyway. The seed I hope to have is labeled but that is approximate. Since I was not here to pollinate them until today.

Remember that Sarracenia flowers will try to self pollinate (if they are not cross pollinated) by lifting the style (umbrella) so that pollen falls towards the stigma, and that to be absolutely certain all anthers should be removed before they ripen.
If you want to self pollinate then removing anthers is not an issue
BR
Chris

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Remember that Sarracenia flowers will try to self pollinate (if they are not cross pollinated) by lifting the style (umbrella) so that pollen falls towards the stigma

There's some debate about that. After 2 weeks the pollen in the style is a sticky mouldy mess and won't move towards the stigmas. The tipping is possibly a sign the flower has been pollinated and for the insect to move to a different flower, increasing overall pollination success for the flowers in the bog.

Not only is the pollen stuck together and moldy, but also the speed at which the flower tilts is not great enough anyway.  If the plant were capable of very quick motion, like a bird flipping its head back to eat a berry, pollen might hit the stigmas.  In reality pollen which wasn't caked and useless would just slide slowly down one side of the style and then fall to the ground.  It would result in very little, if any, pollination.

Additionally, I do not think the stigmas are receptive after the petals fall, before the flower turns up.

Sounds like hand pollination and bagging the flowers is the best bet. I grow my plants outside and the insects will visit all of them if they are not stopped somehow.

It won't look pretty but at least my S. alabamensis and the others will be pure.

Glenn

Phil Sheridan told me about a method he uses: he utilizes a mesh sleeve from Home Depot that is tied at both ends. He may have details on his site but it is a synthetic mesh sold in the piping department used to keep silt out of drainage pipes. Previously it was only available in large (100 ft?) rolls but I noticed this year that they now sell it in 10 ft pieces for a few bucks.

Phil does all types of unique crosses and feels it's the best (allows ventilation, keeps bugs out, etc).

All the best,
Ron

Thanks Ron! I will check out Phils site.

Glenn

Bagging a flower is in the National Collection thread, pinned at the top. Not hard, but requires patience.

Take another look at the National Collection thread Bugweed referred to. I offered another suggestion that saves time.

Dominic

Back