What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarr seed help needed

Soem of my sarr seed has not germinated (all one species in its own pot). Some grey mold is growing is on soem of the seed. How do I kill the mold with out hurting the seed? Is their any method I could use besides fungicide?

Although I haven't tried it, some people have suggested cinnamon.

I've used rubbing alcohol. It seems to work.

Hay, Hellz here,
this happens to me, and im pretty sure every other person growing sarr seeds, and this is what i do
i individually remove the molding seed with tweezers, and i spray 1 squirt of dilute neem oil, it seems to work well
smile_n_32.gif

hope this helps,
Hellz

Thanks everyone. I think I will try the alcohol first. Can I just put this in the medium on top of the seed or do I have to take the seed out and dose it?

i just take a q-tip and dip it in the alcohol and wip the q-tip on the seed. You don't need to take the seed out.

Hay, Hellz here,
wow, alcohol doesnt kill tha plants?
im about 2 start drinking with my seedlings ^^
namean?
Hellz

Physan is much less severe than Alcohol, and works better ;)

Wonderful. well I will not use alcohol again I think I poisoned most of the seed. Although all the mold is gone now.

I have had that mold and it never seems to effect the seeds. If the seeds have not germinated yet just let the medium dry out and it will kill the mold them re wet. I have used cinnamon with good sucess even after the seeds have germinated with no harm to the plants.

I will keep that in mind Brooks. Next time I have mold.

Question for nepenthes gracilis and/or SarraceniaScott-
What is PhySan solution?  Where do you get it?  How do you use it?

I have 4 different types of seeds that I purchased from the same nursery.  All 4 started molding about a week after I set them out in trays. I now have them separated from all of my other seed as they are the only seeds that started growing mold.  I tried cinnamon and that didn't stop the mold. I tried adding a fine layer of sand to the top and then used a tweezers and positioned each seed just so... and that didn't stop the mold. I let them dry out a little bit a few times and that did seem to help but I don't particulalry like doing that. I think I'd like to know more about PhySan solution.

How exactly do I apply cinnamon? I did not have enough $ for the physan. oddly the seed molded in the fridge.

Back