What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Purpurea ssp. venosa

I've been growing Sarras for five years and haven't encountered this...

My purp's flower bud grew maybe about a half inch and then stopped and began producing pitchers. It's in a greenhouse and gets loads of light and is grown in LFS. The conditions have not changed. Otherwise, this plant (and all others) seem healthy.
What gives?

I've had this w/ recently transplanted Sarrs or plants that are not healthy in some way. Is the plant potbound or...?
All the best,
Ron Lane

Ron, my sarrs are not potbound or repotted. I have had about 6 flower aborts on several plants. My heterophylla jonesii was sending up a scape, and it stopped dead at 1". Been three weeks, and no movement of any kind. Why they abort is probably a survival move for whatever reason on the part of the plant. Purely speculation, but an interesting item for study.

An interesting item for study indeed...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ April 11 2005,10:46)]Why they abort is probably a survival move for whatever reason on the part of the plant. Purely speculation, but an interesting item for study.
I agree. I've also had this happen when a plant sends up 2 flower stalks. One of them just sits there for the season after growing only 1". The other grows and flowers normally.

It's almost like the plant says Oops - I've changed my mind...

All the best,
Ron

I had this happen on a S. leucophylla 'Tarnok' this year. I was so bummed... it would have been my first.

darn plant was just playing "Psyche!" with me!
smile_n_32.gif

Wow, I didn't even realize the controversy that my post would stir up!
I think the plant has the right to choose to abort its flower... geez.
smile_n_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif

A period of cold weather can make the plant think "Oops, better not!"
smile.gif

Good point, Alvin. It has been unseasonably cold here this early spring. Others didn't seem to notice and sent up some killer scapes. S. alata, black pubescent gets pollinated tomorrow.

I had a white flowered alata abort its flower last year. It came out far too early and so aborted. I was a bit miffed, but luckily it has three this year, all doing well. Can't wait to see the white flowers!

Me either! So remember pics when they pop, Alvin!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]My heterophylla jonesii was sending up a scape, and it stopped dead at 1"

I inspected my Sarracenia yesterday, and numerous S. flava flowerstalks were dead/dying at 1-2" as well. Could be 2 things in this case: 1) the dry weather - I haven't watered them lately, and they weren't in trays (until yesterday) OR 2) the colder weather. I live in Western Washington and this Spring has been on the cooler side so far this year.

Otherwise, the plants are doing fine.

-Homer

Wow, this is new. My D. adelae was sending up a single flower stalk, like, last month, and it stopped at about 5 inches and there hasn't been any change for almost a month.

Back