What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darlingtonia help!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LauraZ5 @ April 24 2005,7:51)]oh oh oh!  Laughing so hard I hurt. Please make the pain stop or I'll have pop out my nose or something.  Can I be a plant in your house, please pretty please with sugar on top?  Nobody bows to me around here and that would be really nice.  Will you bow down to me some time just for yucks so I know what it's like?  I have wanted a plasma tv for a while now but am too cheap to buy one. If I hop in that pot that your Darlingtonia recently vacated will I be treated like a happy fun ball?
Ok. If you insist...next time I come over I will bow. But only if Audrey the Great Dane does, too. I will bow really low for some of your world famous artichoke dip. Maybe you could use my Darlingtonia for garnish.

Tell DH you need a plasma TV, dangit! I tell mine that all the time. "honey, I would like satellite TV with Tivo." Eventually, it will sink in.

If you can fit into the pot the Darlingtonia was in...I will treat you like happyfunball. I will also call the circus. April

Nodding Trillium (Trillium cernuum) is somewhat beyond threatened and endangered. I think that's a 10 on the Swink scale. The Cardinal Flower (Lobelia cardinalis) is up there too at around a 7.  Those are quite rare as are the others she mentioned. I am thinking the Kittentails (Wulfenia bullii) are extirpated in these areas. Those would by far be the rarest.  Well, the Asclepias exaltata may be extirpated by now too.  

April, you have Sullivant's Milkweed?  Where is it planted?  In your woodland garden somewhere?  Be specific.  I'm coming over with night vision goggles and a spade to get me some of that.

It's available in the Prairie Moon catalogue. I haven't seen it returning yet...April

JimScott...

It was John Cleese as a Frenchman, taunting Arthur and his men. Arthur and crew end up getting a cow catapaulted onto them.

Sample taunt:
"your mother is a hamster and your father smells of elderberries"

Laura: oh.. that Audrey. I was thinking Little Shop....

April: See, right movie... right actor... right scene.... mixed up nationalities. I remember the cow. Yes, I enjoyed that very much!

Check this out:

My Webpage

Good job, Jimscott! April

Cardinal flower is listed as very endangered here, and nodding trillium as extirpated. The nodding trillium I have are from SE Central Wisconsin from a friend's land. The cardinal flower are from the Lakewood Forest preserve, from which I was able to get seed. I put the seed back out into Lakewood every fall, into their required environment. I'm happy to say that I have seen an increase in the number of native genotype Cardinal flower at Lakewood. The other rare stuff I have...I had given to me, or bought.

Gardeners, as you know, can be an excellent hedge against extinction. That's why I grow native plants, especially the more hard to find local genotypes.

We have just successfully hijacked this poor guy's thread. I have some interesting news.  Last year you found a remnant here of Puzzy Toes (Antennaria plantaginifolia). For the record, the filters here at Terra are forcing me to substitute two Zs for the two Ss that belong in that plant's common name. If you recall, there were two under developed plants that were struggling to survive and one that looked as if it was on its way to plant heaven. I cleared that area of several invasive species and I have 7 Puzzy Toes this year in that spot and they look considerably healthier than what we saw last year.  I also noticed wild geranium over there today as well as false solomon's seal.

Jim, send me your address... April says that Audrey is a year away from being a good dog and I do like to share when ever possible.  I'll chip in the jumbo crate to get her out to you. Lynn will be oh so thrilled and no worries about your Fluffy... Audrey likes cats. She particulalry likes to drop kong toys on their heads.  For some reason mine don't like to play with her.

You've got to be kidding...you can't mention the common name of a plant, Pu55y Toes, because it might offend some dork?  Pu55y Toes are so named because the flowers look like cat's toes.  Cats, in the olden days, were called Pu55ies. This was before the word became a crude, disgusting, synonym for female genitalia.  It got co-opted...kind of like the word gay.  5's look kind of like S's, BTW.  

Glad your pu55y-toes are doing well.

1600 Pennsylvania Avenue....

HEY!! I deliver pizza's to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. In D.C.

I sure hope it isn't for Dominos! Yiiiccchhhh!

Thank goodness 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue is protecting us from Pu55y-toes.

I think any peat mix for Darlingtonias is just asking for troble. These plants like to keep their roots cool using LFS is alot better for good growth and to keep the roots cooler.

-Drew

Back