What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spring booster food?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CP30

A Cajun(isc) Carnivore
I have thoroughly read the 11 pages of:The Great experiment

I think a new thread could be started to discuss these alternate methods of encouraging increased growth. I know that whey protein isolate has been used, does anyone know if it was pure or if it was a nutrition shake type?

I am going to try EAS Myoplex powder with 42g of protein in a 16oz serving, my only concern is the presence of multiple vitamins in large doses. Any thoughts?

Yes. My thought is, you had dang well better keep us well posted of your experiments. I would be interested in seeing what happens.
I am sure others would be interested too.

would it be better to use soy protein (plant) rather than whey isolate (animal)? it seems like soy protein would be assimilated easier since it's from a plant.

I am not so sure. After all they are called "carnivorous" for a reason! LOL

I did it today. I made the shake at half strength and added from 1ml to 5ml to my newly opened sarr pitchers. I also added to many of my nep pitchers after seeing the growth spurt my fish food instigated this winter. I took others' advice and rinsed the plants carefully afterwards to eliminate spillage. I will update in 7 days. Once I figure out the digital pics, I will post "before" pics.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ April 13 2005,3:49)]would it be better to use soy protein (plant) rather than whey isolate (animal)?  it seems like soy protein would be assimilated easier since it's from a plant.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I am not so sure. After all they are called "carnivorous" for a reason! LOL

I agree, it seems logical that CPs would absorb something that is animal based easier than something that is plant based..
they have evolved to absorb animal nutrients, not plant nutrients..
Scot

sorry, only 1 control plant - a N. ventricosa of which I have 3 year old cuttings and a mother plant. I am not using the protein for 1 cutting (but I am risking the mother). All others I have only 1 specimen per plant
smile_h_32.gif
! If all goe well, I should have ample plants to separate for next season.

Here are some before pics OF NEPS (I hope this works, I have never posted any pics before):

The control (N. ventricosa):
vent%20control%204-14%20RS.JPG

An outside participant:
vent%20outside%204-14%20RS.JPG

An inside ventricosa:
inside%20vent%20cutting%20RS.JPG

Some sarrs in the experiment:
spring%20flava%20flower%20RS.JPG

unknown%20RS.JPG

unkwn%202a%20RS.JPG

I will post as I see changes. Today they all have a slightly vanilla slightly nasty smell, but I see no mold and no sign of rotting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back