What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pedigree of s.leucophylla "red"?

I know it's been said before...but I need to ask two related questions anyway.

1) What are the crosses that compose s.leucophylla "red"?

2) I have some "red" that I just pollinated and have a s. x 'Judith Hindle' opening up. I know 'Judith Hindle' is s. (purpurea x flava) x leucophylla. Anyone know if anyone has crossed the 'Judith' and 'red' together?

3) If I do cross these together, and the mother plant is the "Judith Hindle', how would I write the cross?
smile_k_ani_32.gif

The leucophylla red is often described as willisii x leucophylla, but I've heard that it is actually (willisii x leucophylla) x leucophylla.

I don't know if the two have been crossed, but the result should be a nice plant.

I would describe the cross simply as S.x 'Judith Hindle' x leucophylla red.

sounds like a nice cross, it would make sort of like a taller judith hindle seems like

Ugg. S. 'Judith Hindle' . I must have a retarded clone.

Treaqum, I read somewhere that the 'Judith Hindle' will gain more coloration as it matures. I don't know if this is true across the board, but take a look at a comparison of the this year's pitchers vs. last year:

judithhindle.jpg

judithhindle2.jpg

the leuco 'red' I'd like to cross this with is pictured here:
leucored.jpg

Should be fun. I'm guessing the hybrid will have lots of ruffles, be a redder and taller than the 'Judith'. My "red" is also much more robust, so I hope it gains that quality as well. Hee..I'm going to run out and pollinate it right now.

the leucophylla 'red' can also be called by its cultivar name, which is 'Daina's Delight'

crossing it with judith should yield some very colorful plants. Dean Cook sent me some pics of some young 'Daina's Delight' x 'Mardi Gras' plants he made. They look pretty stunning too.

I meant I think my TC clone messed up. ANyway good now I can relabel my S. 'red leuco' 'Dana's Delight'. Now that I know the cultivar name. It is really robust.

Your 'Judith Hindle' should turn almost completely red, so I think you need to give it more sun.
The resulting hybrid will be very red with many pink and white areoles.

Thanks for the info and tip Alvin! I live in southern california and I'm afraid my they would scorch if I put it in full sun. Yesterday it was 90F and humidity 25% so all of my sarrs are growing in shade, with an two hours of direct sun (sunrise, sunset). I'll try scooting the 'Judith' over a bit, and we'll see if it colors up ;)

UPDATE
*CURSES* I went outside to move the pots around, and had to untangle the flower stem from the sarr next to it. Then I noticed that there were two labels in one pot...upon investigation, my mom had taken one of my tags out to read it (she liked the 'Judith'). Then she stuck it in my s x areolata (alata x leuco) pot. And the flower was hanging over the 'Judith' . Greeaaat. So I actually crossed 'Dana's Delight' with areolata. I'm less than thrilled. Well, it does seem that a lot of people are going through flower/tag mischief this week. Good news for all of ya is that if no flowers come up on my other plants, I'll be offering some 'Dana's Delight' pollen in the trading forums later.
confused.gif

WB to the forums Michelle! Haven`t seen you in a while.Lol.:)

Hey Folks,

Adding my thoughts on the subject here.

Sarracenia 'Dana's Delight' is a hybrid Sarracenia which contains the species: S. purpurea, S. psittacina, S. flava and S. leucophylla in varying combinations. S. 'Dana's Delight' has been sold and marketed by many reputable retailers and wholesalers as S. leucophylla "red" for two primary reasons.
1) As a marketing tool, offering a beautiful red form of a pure S. leucophylla which entices cp purists.
2) The grower/seller wasn't clear on the background of what S. 'Dana's Delight' was or just didn't care to label them as such.

Regardless of how many ways you look at it..S. 'Dana's Delight' is not a pure leucopylla red form and should not be referred to as such. It is not a pure S. leucophylla. It is a complex hybrid that contains S. leucophylla in it's parentage, once or maybe even twice along with 3 other species.

wickedthistle: If you want to properly id your cross and keep your records straight you should label your resulting offspring as: (S. x'Judith Hindle' X S. x'Dana's Delight'). If you were to label it as (S. x'Judith Hindle' X S. leucophylla "red" or red) you would be misleading yourself, the growing community or whomever you share your plants with by advertsing that the other half of your cross was a red form of leucophylla.

The S. x willisii sport that was used in the making of 'Dana's Delight' showed very little S. psittacina influence in pitcher structure. It's primary contribution was color and areolae. Crossing this hybrid with S. leucophylla and then crossing the best sport of this cross AGAIN with S. leucophylla produced the plant we now know as 'Dana's Delight' which is confusing everyone. True Sarracenia afficianados can easily see the hybrid influence.

wickedthistle: Your choice of crossing 'Judith Hindle' with 'Dana's Delight' will produce a stunningly colored hybrid. You should expect many of the seedlings to produce taller/thinner 'Judith Hindle' type pitchers with a less flaring hood in rich tones of red, pink, and fuschia. Some will be solid burgundy. But...because of the gene pool comprised in both parents you can also expect some varying degree of pitcher height and hood flaring. Grow your seedlings in very strong light to get the best colors. Your efforts will be greatly rewarded.

All the best,

Phil

Back