What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia

I just sent in an order to California Carnivores, and I ordered the species collection and an additional S. alata bulb.  I would like to put these plants outside in a drained container filled with pure LFS.  Is this a good idea?  How should the pot/water tray be? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance

That sounds fine. Where do you live? The container can't be too deep, but you want to make sure it's deep enough not to dry out.

Well you could do an undrained 30 gallon rubbermaid or sterlite container. IT will take about a bag of sand and 2 cubic feet of sphagnum peat moss (total price = $19.

I live in Kansas. I need a decent looking pot otherwise my dad won't let me put it outside, so the rubbermaid container may be out of the question.

whiskey barrel maybe?

You could consider one of those long window-box type planters, or something free standing. I have seen things along the lines of what I believe you are looking for at Home Depot. They can be a bit pricy compared to plain jane plastic pots and saucers, but if you have to have something that is visually appealing as well as functional, its probably going to cost you some $$.

For what its worth, I grow my Sarracenia in recycled 1 gallon pots or 6 and 8 inch plastic pots. All with deep plastic water trays. Its not super pretty but it does the job, and in the end, most people are so taken with the plants they never even notice the pots.

Good luck
Steve

I did mean bury the container int her ground so you had an artifical bog.

This wouldn't help the minibog much, but I have found that setting your pot and try down in a bigger clay pot helps anchor the plant and it hides the plastic pot without actually injuring the plant.
A reccomendation(sp) for the mini bog would be to go to a local flea market. There are about a million possibilities with those places. I've seen those long planters at places like Home Depot and Lowes, but I don't recall them ever being expensive, especially the plastic ones. They look decent too.... maybe it's just where you are and exactly what you are wanting? LOL

Hmm...whiskey barrel sounds good:) . I'll probably go to some of the stores around town and look. I'll post when I find something. If I used pure LFS would that be ok or would it get too waterlogged?

I just bought an 18" terrabowl and a 20" saucer from my local nursery along with 2 bags of long fiber sphangum moss for my Sarracenia.  The total was about $22. It turns out that my order was lost in the mail, so it's supposed to be about three weeks before I actually get my plants.  Will the summer heat in Kansas hurt the plants any? Is there anything special I should do to help them aclimate?  Also should i mix perlite with the LFS?

Hey Tony,

No way will the summer heat in Kansas hurt your sarrs! They'll love it, provided you keep them boggy....The only problem with that heat is that you have to keep an eye on them and not let them dry out too much.

Remember, they're native range is FULL SUN in most of the southeastern US, so you're sun isn't any different.

Never perlite in an outdoor set up. Perlirte floats, and will splash out and all over everything. Straight Peat Moss will work just fine. No sand, and nothing unnatural like perlite! LFS is also a great base, but forget the perlite.

Back