What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Artificial lights for tall sarracenia

Hi,

Obviously S. purpurea will do fine in a tank with a shoplight on it, but what does one do for taller ones?
Will a MH fry them, or has anyone tried that kind of lighting recently?
I have got a few Sarracenia this year, and because of Nebraska's flip-flop weather(two weeks ago, 70s-today some snow flurries), I have no inflated pitchers and of two S. minor that were flowering(thanks Juan Carlos!), one has been open for a couple of weeks and the other stopped short of opening. Kind of funny, but kind of annoying.

Thanks,

Joe

you really need HID.

Assuming costs of systems and utility bills are of no concern, I'd recommend at least 250W of a combination of MH and HPS from above, and a T5 phototron. That and a considerable amount of reflective mylar might be helpful. The day I manage to set something like this up and succeed, I'll let everyone know (if only!).

I need to get a light for my plants, and two of them are Sarracenias. My plan is to mount the light so that instead of being above the plant, it is next to it, with the length of the bulb running paralell to the pitchers.

Mind you, I haven't even gotten the light yet, so I don't know how well it will work. There may be some extremely good reason not to ever do this. (I'm a novice at the whole plants thing.)

Well I do have tons of Mylar and three MH lamps(two 400s and a 1000). I guess I could experiment with a 400.

Cheers,

Joe

Back