What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darlingtonia in bog outside

I know mnay peopl ein the UK grow Darlingtonia outside or at least say it is a lot more hardy then we think. So I was wondering if anyone has tried growing it as a Sarracenia in a inground bog garden outside?

I tried it in florida however the sun was just way too much, You can grow it outside here in colorado in the summers

Hi Tre,
the general rule is that you give a Darlingtonia morning sun only..........avoid giving it midday sun and afternoon sun(which cook it)

It is hardy, it spent the whole winter outside here
Another mistake in D'amatos book.........he claims they only do well outdoors in Medditeranean like climates

Ahh Okay. I am thinking about flipping my Nep bog to the East side rather then the west also. They turn a bit too dark.

Tre,
From everything I've ever read, heard from people and saw personally - the plants will fry in Florida unless you have something to cool their roots below the local ground temperature. They really do not like the heat on their roots.

Good luck if you try it.

Back