What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia seedling

seedjar

Let's positive thinking!
Hey there. Kirk was nice enough to send me an S. oreophila seedling a few weeks back, but it got a little banged up in the mail. The newest pitcher was bent backwards and the older leaves were showing signs of wear. I potted it up in peat, sphagnum, and perlite and set it in a tall plastic jar to give it a little extra humidity and wind protection. It's been on the porch with my other CPs which are all doing well, but it still doesn't seem to be recovering. It's put up one new leaf (one it was working on before I got it) and I haven't seen any other new growth. The older leaves are dying back.
I think it might be getting too much shade from the other plants and the railing around my balcony. I do have space for it inside. Would the change in nighttime temps and photoperiod be too stressful, or is it worth a try?
Thanks,
~Joe

I would just be patient. It probably is a bit stressed but should bounce back in a few weeks. Giving it a lot of sun is a good idea.

I'll try and move things around on the porch so it gets more light. The problem is that the pot is about 4 inches high, the table it's on is about 30 inches high, and the balcony rail is about 48 inches high, so no matter where I put the pot, it gets much more shade than the other plants. To make matters worse, most of my other pots overshadow the seedling. I'll look for something to stand it up on and keep my fingers crossed.
Thanks,
~Joe

Why don't you flip another pot upside down and put the seedling pot on top?

I've been looking forward to seeing how it was doing, I had it in a west facing windowsill with LOTS of light, it got very dry at some times but didnt seem to mind it at all, I had it in a peat mix with a little sand worked in, maybe this info could help you

Hey Kirk, thanks again! I'll try and get photos while I can - I'd take some tomorrow but my camera got bananafied and doesn't work so well anymore. That pitcher that got bent looked like it would have been pretty impressive, had it fully matured.
I've got it in a very light mix right now; I'm going to do some repotting in the next few weeks after my finals and I'll try adding some peat and sand to the top layer of the mix. Right now it's about 2/3 perlite and sphagnum with 1/3 peat and sand, and the peat and sand seem to have washed to the bottom. I rearranged my patio to give the plants a little more light, so hopefully it will perk up soon.
Heh, Tre, I've already got some of that action going on with most of my plants. I've got more upside-down rubbermaid bins on my table than water trays (the bins used to be the water trays.)

Back