What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus roots

seedjar

Let's positive thinking!
So, when I first started learning about CPs, I figured I wouldn't want to get a Cephalotus - as spectacular as they are - because they're so durned expensive, hard to find and (I had read) fussy. But recently I've been thinking about importing one, since they run a lot less overseas. Then today, I saw on wistuba.com a warning that they're shipping Cephs out of Europe at buyer's risk because, apparently, the strain of a phytosanitary check is too much for some plants.
Does anyone know about this? It seems that the Cephalotus is finicky about being washed out of its growing medium (according to wistuba.com.) Has anybody out there found this to be true? Just before I saw that notice, I was reading about Cephs in the Savage Garden, which seems to make light of dividing and taking root cuttings. Root cuttings and rhizome division certainly entail removing the plant from it's medium... so what's the deal?
Thanks,
~Joe

Greetings,

One of the disadvantages of getting a sensitive species bareroot is if something goes wrong, it's impossible to tell if it's because the growing conditions aren't correct, or if the root disturbance did it in.

I'm just a begginer, but I'll relate my experience.  I received two Cephalotus April 1.  One was shipped in a 4 inch pot, and one was shipped bareroot.  The one in the pot is growing great, with new pitchers forming, but the one shipped bareroot died within two weeks.  Did it die because of root disturbance---maybe.  

I would be intersted in hearing other people's experiences with either transplanting and/or receiving cephs bareroot.

Brian

I am not sure since I have dragged mine all over and it seems fine though. Probibly had trama or the rhixome break off. I got mine potted and when I try to get another I will request that also.

Hmm, maybe I'll just have to make a few last minute bids in the auction then... I guess if I do make an order from overseas I'll get one bareroot if I must and take my chances, as the price difference offsets a little risk. I've had pretty good luck with almost all my plants, so it's worth a try at least.
~Joe

I was given a Ceph last Fall. I moved it from the kitchen to work for the Winter. It produced Winter leaves for me and I tried a leaf pulling in a baggie. The leaf stayed green and then I moved it to a 50 ml tube, where it displayed roots. After awhile, in an attemp to acclimate it to growing in a pot, put itback in the baggie. It died. Other leaf pullungs I put directly in a 50 ml tube. They died. I have since put the reaminder of the leaves in a tray of wet, live sphagnum and after 2 weeks, they are still green. So I strongly believe things are happening below the surface. Additionally, I accidently severed what was an offshoot plant and also placed it in the wet, live LFS. It is also still green after 2 weeks. So I think that will do fine as well.

I have two plants from leaves. From my original (Which may or maynot be dead due to my extreme stupidity. Oh FYI Cephs do NOT grow well in bog gardens in NE FL. But on the poarch with more shade they are fine. They grew roots that were very long a few months before making plantlets.

I have my cephs growing in live spag (check the auction-shameless plug! ;) ). Anyway, I've pulled them out, moved them to another location in the spag, no problem. One that I've moved to peat and sand however, is growing much more slowly! Perhaps the problem comes with condition changes, rather than the movement itself.

I have actually bought a Cephalotus from A. Wistuba, and the plants was in good condition on arrival. However the plant died back quite a bit before stabilizing, and was later lost when I went on a vacation and a friend took over watering. I have asked Andreas about cephs since and he pretty much repeated whats on the site.

Back