What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ncbg 2005

Cynic81

Frakkin Toaster
Whta kind of Cper would I be if I didn't pay the North Carolina Botanical Gardens a visit while in the area? Here's a slew of pics from my second trip (Didn't have a digital camera last year).

Here's hoping I don't melt the forum with all these pictures.

56K Users Beware!!!

CAM_0357.jpg

CAM_0359.jpg

CAM_0362.jpg

CAM_0363.jpg

CAM_0370.jpg

CAM_0377.jpg

CAM_0405.jpg

CAM_0382.jpg

CAM_0384.jpg

CAM_0385.jpg

The Epic Continues

CAM_0388.jpg

CAM_0389.jpg

CAM_0395.jpg

CAM_0392.jpg

CAM_0403.jpg

CAM_0412.jpg

CAM_0413.jpg

CAM_0415.jpg

CAM_0394.jpg

Awesome pics Cynic81.

The Sarracenia look amazing
smile_k_ani_32.gif

@ eplants02: Thanks. They looked even better in person
biggrin.gif

The Final Chapter (?)

CAM_0399.jpg

CAM_0416.jpg

CAM_0391.jpg

CAM_0398.jpg

CAM_0402.jpg

CAM_0367.jpg

I see sales racks in the back of one of thoes photos. Get anything good?

They are very expensive Brooks. I mean for cheep people like me
smile_m_32.gif
About $15-20 per 2 inch sarr pot when I was there. And not anything great.

I live in Chapel Hill and I am ashamed to say that I dont go to the bot gardens enough. I did go this morning, its really nice they have some killer Oreo's and as you can see the VFTs are pretty darn big. The only thing I wish they had more of were drosera, they only seem to have D. Filiformis, which is quite beautiful but I coudl do with others and I saw no Pings. Maybe they will let me work there and add some of my own ;) The only thing they were selling that is carnivorous were VFTs, $6 each. Not the best looking ones but I still bought one to support them. If anyone else is in Chapel Hill let me know, Id love to show my plants and show you around town since we ARE the #1 NCAA bbal champs
smile_n_32.gif

Is it just me or does the media those guys are in look 1) really sandy and 2) really dry??

Nice pictures.
I'll have to see where they are located. I'm going to The Outer Banks in early June, and if close enough I'll stop at the gardens.

Elgecko, the outerbanks are about 3 hours away from chapel hill, its a really easy drive. Also, you could head south and see VFTs in the wild.
Pyro, some areas look more sandy than others, I think it is due to rain disturbing the soil. It is a good mix which seems to be 50/50 peat and sand and it is moist, not dry or soggy.

looks like a very fun visit, the only thing I dont see that would look good in there are cobra lilies, anyways the only bc's I've been to are Hunstville, AL BG, had a few wrigleyanas and jusith hindles as well as a variety pot in one fo the butterfly houses with alata, VFTs, and a couple sundews, the ladies up front knew nothing about them though, they said they didnt have any, and when I told them about the cps they said "hmm, ya ever stuck a pencil in ona them things?" to each other. very wierd, although soon I would like to visit denver botanical gardens, the carnivorous plant department guy said they had about 90 species although Jeremiah said that was probably not true, he seems very nice, I'd just like to go since it is one fo the biggest BGs in the country

Back