What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another crazy experiment idea...

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
A little while ago I asked questions about germinating Sarracenia seeds that I had in the fridge for 3 months before attempting to sow. I received a variety of opinions as to what went wrong or how to do redo stratification. I have another idea.

What say I take the existing seeds and their media and put it in a tall, plastic container, filled way past the media level, with the seeds floating. This would be kept outside and in a limited sense, possibly mimic Sarracenia seeds landing in the water and taking their sweet time to germinate.

Assuming they do eventually germinate, the water level sinks to that of the media and the seedlings work their way into it. I just tried that with recently received Darlingtonia seedlings and they nestled themselves into the media.

Scott,
When don't you have a crazy idea?
Did you forget your meds again!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

smile_m_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (elgecko @ June 04 2005,10:24)]Scott,
When don't you have a crazy idea?
Did you forget your meds again!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

smile_m_32.gif

smile_n_32.gif

smile_m_32.gif

smile_n_32.gif
Why thank you, Steve! I knew I could count on you. Who was that one that had something in their signature a quote from Thomas Edison about not having a whole mess of failures? Did I ever tell you about the toilet experiment with bungy cords & shoelaces?

I have to ask are your Darlingtonia seedlings still alive and how are you growing them. And as for your toilet experiment you must tell us.

dont forget elgecko, the crazy ones have the best pills
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ June 05 2005,12:04)]dont forget elgecko, the crazy ones have the best pills
laugh.gif
He should have brought some with him on his visit last weekend.
smile_n_32.gif

I definitely needed allergy pills! Egads!

Let's see, that batch of seedlings are in a shallow plastic storage container, in sand. That is a temporary setting, one in which I received than on a Saturday and needed to get them in something right quick. They are ouside and seem to be doing fine. I notcied this week they have the tiniest of pitchers.

Toilet: Back in Buffalo, our toilet developed a small, but significant leak. so I di the bucket thing for awhile, but it really got to be old. So I tried adhesive spray, duct tape, silicone sealer. Nothing worked. I called a friend over who was far more experienced with home repair things and he partially took the j-trap apart and applied silicone sealer. I let it set and the next day it leaked. I had him come over and he took more things apart and re-applied the sealer. Next day - it still leaked. He came back and we totally took the tank and bowl and trap apart. Then we noticed holes, where it had corroded. I suggested we solder the holes. He did so and began putting it all back together again.

But the tank portion slipped out of his hands and hit the back part of th bowl, taking out two chunks of the bowl, right where one of the bolts that connects with the seat is. He suggested epoxy, but the first movement on the seat ruined the epoxy job. I called numerous hardware stores and bath places for advice and all they suggested was using a clamp or just getting a new toilet. Nobody sold the suggested clamp and I wasn't about to give in and buy a new toilet.

So I bought a piece of flashing (thin metal sheet) and bore holes in it to acommodate the bolt holes. I glued it to the bowl. I re-epoxied the broken chuncks at put them in place. Then I went to Home Depot and bought two bungy cords and put them around the perimeter of the toilet bowl, thus keeping the epoxie pices in place, which kept the set in place. That effectively took care of the X & Y axis, as it were. Then I took a shoelace and attached it to both the bungy cords and the repaired j-trap, this taking care of the Z-axis. The contraption worked. It held together for 6 months, until my wife conspired with a friend to get a new toilet, as the aesthetics of it were a little less than appealing.

Sorry, no pics! And now you know the rest of the story!

Jimscott,

It would have taken a lot less time to buy and install a new toilet...but I understand. It was a problem to be figured out and fixed! A Challenge! DH did various fixes to our toilet, too, it was an interesting challenge, before he just got sick of it and went out and bought a new one.

Don't see why your method of seed starting wouldn't work, because that's how it happens in the wild.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (aprilh @ June 05 2005,4:34)]Jimscott,

It would have taken a lot less time to buy and install a new toilet...but I understand.  It was a problem to be figured out and fixed! A Challenge! DH did various fixes to our toilet, too, it was an interesting challenge, before he just got sick of it and went out and bought a new one.  

Don't see why your method of seed starting wouldn't work, because that's how it happens in the wild.
If I can find a creative solution to a problem, I'll go for it - especially when they say it can't be done that wy.

Thanks, I was counting on Sarracenia seeds landing on the water surface, from the pictures of I have seen of the mature plants.

The toilet story... LOL!!! For some unknown reason, that is very funny.

And this...
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Did I ever tell out about the toilet experiment with bungy cords & shoelaces?
...will definitely show up in my sig.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If I can find a creative solution to a problem, I'll go for it - especially when they say it can't be done that wy.
Yeah!!! I would. "Wy"?

I feel honored!
smile.gif

Ever notice how the smiley emoticon (
smile.gif
) looks absent-minded and loopy? That's my kind of smilie.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If I can find a creative solution to a problem, I'll go for it - especially when they say it can't be done that wy.
Exactly! And people's saying that it can't be done only gives more reason to do it!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (elarwhis @ June 08 2005,1:14)]
[b said:
Exactly! And people's saying that it  can't be done only gives more reason to do it!
Just like Marty McFly, when being called "yellow"!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Did I ever tell out about the toilet experiment with bungy cords & shoelaces?
...Wait... "out"? Do you not mean "you"? Man, that took me a long time to notice...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]So I tried adhesive spray, duct tape, silicone sealer. Nothing worked.
DUCT TAPE DIDN'T WORK?!? O_O

That would be Tanya, my private typo finder! Dain bramage!
smile_m_32.gif

Anyways, yeah, there are just some things duct tape can't fix, sorry to say.
smile_h_32.gif

Hey, most of those Amish smileys look loopy!

Well Jim we're all crazy here. And I like fire. And I like to experiment, expecially with fire. So there is only one solution to my fungi problem. BURN THE BOG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know to use tinfoil now. I'll let you know how it goes as a crazy experiment.

Back