What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Earlier this year, I repotted 3 small Cephalotus leaf cuttings (Hummer's Giant clone) into their own pots from the live sphagnum area where they were rooted. At the time, each of the rooted cuttings were approx the same size (and the original 'mother' leaf for each was/is approx equal size).

I was curious if the potting media would have any difference on growth so:
- rooted leaf cutting 1 was placed in LFS [dead]
- rooted leaf cutting 2 was placed in sphagnum peat and sand [50:50]
- rooted leaf cutting 3 was placed in sphagnum peat & perlite [~60:40]

The 3 were placed in a mostly-covered terrarium in an east-facing window. Number 1 was closest to the window (as you can see from the darker color). Number 2 was next - followed by #3.

While number 1 & number 3 are quite normal, number 2 has added an amazing number of pitchers. I counted 11 pitchers with the possibility of another under the stem. I doubt that the proliferation of pitchers has anything to do with the media but I've never seen a cutting take off and just produce that many pitchers (all cuttings were taken from same plant at same time).

Ceph1RS.jpg

Leaf cutting number 1 (deeper color)

Ceph2RS.jpg

Leaf cutting number 2 (11 or 12 pitchers)

Ceph3RS.jpg

Leaf cutting number 3

Very nice! My ceph is just now starting to produce pitchers, I had it with my sarracenia which are in very high light extremely hot night and day temps and average humidity, it didnt like it very much I just now moved it with the Highlanders and its taking off!

photobucket is having issues this morning, i cant see any of the photos i posted yesterday ither.......give it some time

I am having the best success with emplacing Cephalotus leaf cuttings in live LFS. I even tossed in a shoot that I accidently severed when trying to extricate a leaf. It didn't complain. Live LFS rocks for cuttings, pullings, and possibly Byblis liniflora.

Back