What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cobra pitchers: how to keep the soil cool?

Look at the images here:
http://www.cobraplant.com/gallery-darlingtonia.html

I may be wrong, but aren't Cobra pitchers always surrounded by other vegetation? All the pictures I've seen of them in the wild, they are growing with some kind of vegetation. Wouldn't this help aid them when it comes to keeping the soil temperature low?

For those who are growing the Cobra pitchers, how are you growing them in your pot? Is it just bare soil with your cobra pitchers poking out? Wouldn't this make them more exposed to higher soil temperature?

Also does anyone know what kind of vegetation that is growing with them? I don't think it's grass but who knows?

Cobras are tougher than you think. Most people in Britain grow them in light colored pots in standing water, but in scorching greenhouses. The only way I should think you could kill them would be if you have very strong sun in the south, you are growing in black pots, or they aren't standing in water.

In the wild they grow in areas where there are running streams or there is a high water table.

hmmmmm mine is in a south window, black pot, pure peat, standing in warm stagnant water..........maybe i should teach it to read so it knows its not supposed to be growing well. Darlingtonia except maybe for those freash out of TC can actually be quite hardy. mine seems to be an unusually extream example of how hardy they can be. by all means go the white pot, loose airy soil ect route first, if that doesnt work(like it didnt for me) go the other extream, and give up all hope and plant it in conditions that should, in theory, kill it and you might be pleasently surprised.

I haven't grown these yet myself (just sowed some seeds I ordered), just saying from what I read they can be tricky to maintain. Especially due to the soil overheating.

I was just wondering if anyone tried planting grass (or w/e kind of vegetation that grows along with the Cobra pitchers in the wild), and saw if it helped or not.

Good to hear though that they are hardy!

dont believe everything you read. i do believe Darlingtonia is one of those species that does well for yah or its impossible for yah to grow. i havent come across very many instances of it "just surviving" for ppl. its either doing really well or its dieing. starting them from seeds is great as in theory they should adapt to you conditions a bit better once you get them started. i killed several of these guys doing everything right and it wasnt till i recieved a small one in a package with many other plants that i just tossed it in peat and waited for it to keel over, a year later its quadrupled in size and doing wonderfully.

IT is some type of grass that grows with them.

As Alexis says, people are having success with them even when it is hot. Pyro once mentioned to me that as long as the plants are established, they can take the heat. I think that all to often, we are duped into buying the TC Darlintonia that have come from the garden center and those plants are already weak. Then they get tossed outside and can't take it.

I have well-acclimated Darlingtonia seedlings surviving the 90 degree weather, in a mini-bog. I just keep those mini-bogs wet.

Well is there anywhere you can get established Darlngtonia for cheap? (Pm me don't say on here). I mean most are bare root no matter where you buy them.

I have tried growing a plant outdoors which was in direct sunlight all day, and failed. It was not an overly large, establish plant.
I have another plant growing inside in a south facing window which is growing very fast. second year in this location. When the plant is large enough to divide I will establish another plant for a season and then try it outside again and see how it does.

Steve, the seedlings you gave me last month are surviving our miserable Florida-like weather.

Hey, here's a link to another solution, from an old topic:

Cobra lily set up

Also, Darcie used a store bought reptile thingy, that pumps water. I just can't find that topic at the moment.

Well this winter I'll be getting a few in (pre arranged) so that I can try some other methods.

Oh where would I get a small water pump and for how much.

small water pump? you can prolly find one for $20 or so at most any place that sells aquarium supplies

Back