What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Michigan has only one Sarracenia sp. that can survive our cold winters.  I am considering using the following container (without the light fixture) to grow some that will have to be moved indoors in the winter.  No doubt it will contain some other cps too.

emily.gif

It can easily be moved outside in the summer and back inside in the fall/winter. However, if I understand correctly, all sarrs need a winter dormancy?  I'll have to use my refrigerator for that!  I'll be using compact fluorescent lights over it.

If the above assumption is true, is there any species of pitcher type plant that grows year round?

I can use any growing medium desired in the quart sized pots.  It'll be easy to keep the water at 1/2 soil level although I might have to drain some water off after heavy rains.  

NOTE:  This settup is very well known as "Emily's Garden" by hydroponic growers. Normally it is used with a pump to aerate the water that constantly stands in the bottom.  If I understand correctly, bogs have fairly low oxygen levels so I won't need to do this.  Am I correct?  I no longer struggle with hydroponics so I am going to adapt it for carnivorous plants.

I'll have to figure out a way to keep my constant companions (cockatiels who have free flight through the house) from "sampling" the plants.

NOTE:  I have The Savage Garden and a book on Sarracenias on the way -- should arrive Wednesday or Thursday.

Sarracenia are a North American plant so yes they need dormancy. And dormancy has to do with not only cooler temps but also the reduction in photoperiod. You can use the fridge for the dormant period. I'm really not sure about Sarracenia found in warmer climes like FL how much temperature change they might need.

Its hard to tell the size of that container but depending on the size of the plant you want to grow...you might need larger pots. If you are using artificial lighting, you will need to be able to adjust it if you will be growing species that get tall. S. purpurea is a low-growing species.

just keep em outside in spring and summer and bring them inside in fall/winter. put em in the fridge or basement or garage.

there are pitcher plants that don't need dormancy, but not sarracenia. Cephalotus, Heliamphora, and Nepenthes grow year-round.

oh edit. you might want to grow darlingtonia in that hydroponic setup with the lights if you have them or put the whole thing outside.

Lights aren't necessary for dormancy. Sarracenia have greatly reduced light requirements when dormant; so much so that many people simply refridgerate the rhizomes over winter. They recieve no light while in the fridge and do just fine. If you can keep them in a garage or unheated room near a window, that should work as well.
Best luck,
~Joe

Questions: Would all forms of sarracenia purpurea be hardy in Michigan?

I see that several places list different forms of the same species.

I'm trying to carefully check all my facts BEFORE placing my first order. Can't afford to waste money on my limited income.

mulch mulch mulch if left outside.

if you bring em inside then they will ALL live. i suggest bringing them inside since your so far north.

Where's WildBill when ya need him?
smile.gif
He is the king of mulching bogs in the North!

Back