What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Check out these Sarrs that I found while looking at compact flourescents at Home Depot! All CP's there were $2.50 each. They had standard VFT's, Sarrs (one leucophylla, a lot of purpurea, some minor, and this weird unknown one that I bought...), some P. moranensis that were so huge, they looked like cabbages, and Drosera capensis and adelae. They were all called Octopus Plant and Starfish Plant and crap like that ^_^.

My mom was ticked that I murdered all of the ones I got off of the internet, but she liked the look of the S. purpurea, so we bought 4 Sarrs and one VFT. She's insisting that we grow them her way, and leave them in the foyer, which only gets a smidgen of light through a window in the evening. There was also this weird moss that was in the pots. I'm not sure if it's sphagnum or not.

They must have just got them in, because although alot of the purpurea were dented and stuff, they all didn't look too bad. My mom didn't want any Drosera, because they looked too straggly, and the cabbage-sized Pinguicula only had one snibbly looking flower on it. Here they are set up in the foyer.
newcps1sr.jpg

The pots have some weird moss growing on top of the soil. I'm worried, because I'm not sure if it's sphagnum or not.
hpim07093dt.jpg

knownmoss6qi.jpg

minormoss8qz.jpg

Those are some nice looking plants. It's a shame they're going to suffer a slow death wasting away from lack of light. I hope you can change your mom's mind before it's too late! Show her the CP FAQ.
As for the moss, it shouldn't hurt established plants too much, I don't think. But that might indicate an excess of nutrients in the soil, in which case the plants should be moved to new media.
I think you should tell your mom that Drosera always look straggly and Pings hardly ever flower, and go get some more, because those are the only plants that stand a chance of surviving that low light.
Best luck!
~Joe

WOW! VERY nice indeed.

The one near my house! ^_^ Anyone that lives in western PA that actually wants to go to this Home Depot PM me.

Those are from the same company as the ones I got from the fair here. You must live in cali to find them at home depot. The plants are great, and grow fast. You should really get one of their pings man. They're huge, and catch bugs better than anything. The one I bought like 2-3 weeks ago is sending up some violet flowers right now, looks just like a sticky african violet. I love this commercial nursery
biggrin.gif

I know that these all are TC plants, and if I put them outside right away, they'll toast. How should I adjust them?

No. All their plants are grown in a greenhouse, although they probably started out as tissue culture plants, considering the shear number of plants they have. Just treat them as you would any other plant of their species. I just put mine outside for the first time today, and they seem to be doing just fine. Take care.

Greetings,

You are lucky your home depot has that kind of selection. The home depot where I live got in one single pitcher plant this season, in the same type of pot as yours. It was S. wrigleyana, and I repotted it right away. It's doing great.

The plant label said: "S. purpurea. Fertilize once a month with 20-20-20."

Brian

I believe those are all from Booman Floral. All of the Pings. I have seen from them are P. X 'titan'

Jason

Wow your homedepot is amazing. Ours is horrible we never get any cps.

Back