What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just got my first cephalotus

I have it planted in 100% LFS.

Is this good for it, or do people recommend a different soil mix?

Savage Garden recommends one part peat to two parts sand and/or perlite.

BTW, I'm *SO* jealous!
smile.gif

1 part peat and 2 parts perlite seems to work really well

Congrats on your new ceph! I think the people before me covered the soil question, so just make sure to post up some pics once it is settled.
smile.gif

I have 1 in equal parts LFS, peatmoss, and perlite.
Another is in 1 part peatmoss, 2 parts sand.
Both grow great.
Here's a picture of my one in the equal parts LFS, peatmoss, and perlite.
ceph.jpg

Hmmmm, I just received my first one from the auction. Wickedthistle said she grew hers in live sphag. A few leaves and pitchers have died (presumably from shock), does anyone think I should change mediums?The plants is only about 2 inches in diameter if that makes a diff.

Sorry Scott, I didn't mean to but in on the thread, but this raised a bit of concern for me...

I don't think you need to change the media. I have a Ceph shoot, that I accidently severed from the mother plant, in my attempt to take leaf cuttings, in live LFS. It has been there for 2 months now and is still alive.

I've read of them growing in many variations of these mixes successfully.

As a bit of an experiment, I transplanted 3 rooted cuttings earlier this year into:
- 50:50 sand/sphagnum peat
- 50:50 perlite/sphagnum peat
- 100% LFS [dead]

Although too early to draw conclusions, the LFS plant is losing - still growing well but not as well as the other 2.

For rooting cuttings, live LFS has always worked best for me.

Back