What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whats the deal?

• Thread starter z5guy
  • Start date
i tryed lookin it on the internet so as to not bother u guys with this stupid qestion, but whats the easiest way to propagate sarr's? which is the best way to get an adult plant fastest?

I'm serious: trade with a friend. Also, a cutting from an adult plant get's ya there faster than germinating seeds. That and Home depot, Lowes, and Petflytrap.com

What type sarrs are you looking for?Because they sure don't grow fast.Jimscott has the right idea!

Jerry

By division is the quickest way. In winter chop your plant, preferably so each half has it's own growth point, and you have two adult sarras.

thanks guys, if thats the case though, how do growers like caili carnivous have a steady stream of them?

Probably tissue culture. These are plants grown in laboratories in a kind of agar jelly. Venus flytraps and sarracenia cultivars such as 'Judith Hindle' are produced this way to prevent people from having to poach from the wild or to make sure sought after plants are produced en masse for the public.

i plan on starting a nursery someday, does this equipment cost alot??

[b said:
Quote[/b] (z5guy @ July 12 2005,9:40)]how do growers like caili carnivous have a steady stream of them?
They grow them in kiddie wading pools by the thousands. Peter and Marilee have been growing CPs for decades.

z5guy Its not to dificult to build your own flow hook for tissue culture.  Flow hoods especialy a nice one can be rather expencive if your looking for Lab quality, but you can build one and have the same quality but spend alot less.  You have to use the same setup when planting orchid seeds because they have to be started in the same type agar mix that tissue culture is done it.  So if you want to go with all lab quality stuff then your talking an arm and a leg, but if your willing to do a little work and improvise untill your nursery is off the ground then you can do it for relativly inexpencive.  Then it just depends on your quality of work and enginuity as to your results.  And to answer your question about how they get so many and have a steady stream of plants you have to realize how old those plants are.  They started out as a mass of cells in tissue and then grown to the size you buy.  They were started a couple of years ago before they were ready to be sold.  As with orchids I assume you have to know the trend and what to make so that your investment in time isn't waisted.  I'm sure its not as critical with CP as orchids because orchids are grown for the flower and not the plant.  If the flower is crappy you just wasted the few years it took to grow those babies and see the flower.  I too want to start a nursery,an orchid nursery, but just remember its not all about growing and selling plants its about planning ahead and making an investment.  Your going to have to either sit on alot of plants a long time getting them ready to sell or find a supplier who has sat on plants for a while getting them ready to sell to you.  

Josh

Oh remember when I said that they probably had those plants that are for sale a couple of years before they were for sale?  Well if they grow as slow as orchdids do you may have them for longer.  I started some orchid seeds on 5/13 and the ones that are growing are still smaller than a BB so those plants are going to be atleast 3 years before flower  and that is probably pushing it:D starting a nursery I think will be rewarding you just need to do your homework so you don't go spending all kinds of money and then find its not for you.  have fun

o, i know its for me and i plan on going to college for it, im just worried that once im done, buy some land (on loans) and then fail as a bunssiness, ill be buried in dept for life.

It might even be cheaper to go with seeds. You can get a saleable plant in the third year with sarracenia seed and plant thousands of seeds with no fuss.

Well, I used the flow hoods at my school to sow my first batch of orchid seeds. I would recomend not jumping in head first and start out by buying from a destributer, and then making your own hood. Relativly simple from what I have read. I would like to go into botiny, but I like you am afraid of not getting a good paying job. So I;m going for nursing and going to use that to finance my orchid nursery. I;m also practicing growing from seed and stuff to as a hobby. You just have to sit and think it through and get a game plan. I look at it this way. If Jesse James can build his chopper empire froms cratch and not borrow a dime I can get my nursery going the same way. Yeah it helps that he is a TV star now, but he wasn't in the begining and his shop was going well before he was made famous. Just remember too your not going to be able to do everything right off the bat. Your going to have to start out and then expand. Unless you want to take the risk of going into debt. Thats just my 2 cents.
smile.gif

For the real deal on home tissue culture you need to get on with Kitchen Culture Kits. Carol is the lady that runs the listserve and has all the supplies you might need. She knows her stuff ! She has classes and books and all kinds of wizbangers that are specific to TC. Most of all the info is the best. I have yet to purchase a kit but am in the process of making room.

I think you'll find sheer #'s of plants will come better with seed. It's the specific variety or cultivar that requires the vegetative propogation to keep it looking sweet. Tissue Culture takes time and is somewhat labor intensive from what I've seen compared to planting seeds in a pot and watching them grow.

thanks, guys for all the helpful words, how can i get in touch with this person that knows all about the tc? does anybody know where i can get large amounts of cp seeds?

just search for Kitchen Culture Kits and you'll find it. She may take a while to respond since the lady is super busy and often traveling.

You might have to wait until autumn for that. A lot of the seeds on ebay are in measly packets of 20.

Andy usually puts 20 - 80 seeds in a packet of his seeds: www.triffidnurseries.co.uk

hmmm, is there any place that sells them in larger quinties? that guy in england looks great but does he except orders from the u.s.?

i tryed e-mailing that lady from kitchen culture kits and i never got a reply, wats the deal?

Back