What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help!

Warning.  This post contains gruesome images that may not be appropriate for young children.  I wonder if anyone can tell me what is attacking my Sarracenia, and what to do about it.  The plants are outdoors in a tropical climate (Honolulu), so there are lots of potential villains, including fungus, mildew, and many kinds of bugs.  Unfortunately, I don't have much of a background in plant disease and pests, as evidenced by the fact that I don't even know if the culprit is something like a fungus or a bug.  I hope someone out there knows.  My plants and I would be forever grateful for any information that would get rid of the perpetrator and restore a semblance of health to my plants.

You should try this page of the CP FAQ. It's got all the major pests, maybe some fungi and others too. Best luck.
~Joe

the first two photos look like older pitchers just naturally dying of old age..
old pitchers turn brown and die from the top down..
how old are those particular pitchers?

the third photo is definately some kind of fungus, probably a type of botyrtis, grey mold.
isnt terribly serious, unless its attacking ALL your plants.
some mold is just natural..pitchers fill with wet decaying bugs, a bit of mold can be expected..

im not seeing anything in those photos that would make me panic..
unless it happening to ALL pitchers, young and old alike..
Scot

The damage in the bottom photo looks similar to thrips. You might try spraying with Orthenex, which contains a miticide, fungicide, and insecticide.

Agree with Bob on that bottom photo. That silvery scaring is thrip damage.

I am not that familar with thrips but use Orthene with caution. i uesd it last spring and it distorted my pitchers even up into this year. Cleary336 is a systemic fungicide that I use for rot and things like what you are showing. Good luck with it and don't delay. Infestations can be bad news.

Back