What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm excited that at the botanical garden where I work, we are ready to try planting some hardy pitchers in two locations on the ground that we have identifed as being appropriately bog-like. In both places, there is lots of sphagnum growin, they stay wet all summer, get good sun AND have lots of Drosera rotundifolia growing in them.

I want to start with something that should be a sure bet in regard to hardiness (we are USDA zone 5B)...Sarracenia purpurea ssp. purpurea. Can anyone tell me where I might obtain several of them (10-20) without going broke? I've seen lots for sale, but I don't know the sources, and I'm thinking that I should try to use something more mature than seedlings so they will have time to get settled in before winter. I plan on mulching them with pine needles, at least this coming winter.

Any suggestion will be appreciated

Wish I could help you out. I have several purpurea seedlings. I would like to know the answer to your question myself.

-Homer

What you could do is get less then 20 purps, maybe about 12.....dont forget they will spread and divide quite rapidly

I can't help you either. I only have two very nice mature purpurea ssp.purpurea. This northern ssp. grows much slower than its southern couterpart venosa. Just to give you an idea of the difference; my two ssp.purpurea have only sprouted 4 new pitchers each so far this growing season. My venosa has 20!!! The difference is incredible. I haven't located any inexpensive suppliers of ssp.purpurea either. BTW, don't worry about mulching ssp.purpurea. They can naturally withstand anything zone 5 can throw at them.

Back