What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Indigestion

• Thread starter eplants02
  • Start date
Hey all,
Just curious, how often does indigestion occur? Thanks

Ummm, for cps?

I don't believe mine have ever had that problem.... if they do, just give 'em peptobismal! LOL

It just depends what they eat, and how much.

My Judith hindle has been catching so many flys... it is starting to smell bad just getting near to poke around. It is weird though... only a few turned black where the bug build up occurs.. others are fine. On my copper top... most of the pitchers where getting indigestion.. so I put a long blade of grass in the newest pitcher so that it can have a time to harden up a bit .. and not just fill with flys.

I think it might also depend on the weather, my flavas and a judith hindle are all in a little minibog that I set up on the front porch steps. This is the first year that any of them experienced indigestion. The weather has been really wet, and hot unlike the last few summers that I've had them. I don't know how true this is, it's just a spuculation.

My solution: When I start to see brown spots due to undigested bugs, it means it's time to lend a helping hand and do some... Chewing. :-X I squirt in just a little bit of r/o water (or a lot if there's a bunch of flies, just enough to cover most of the carcasses) and give a little sqeeze around the thinner parts. It's sort of disgusting when you hear the exoskeleton crunch, and the water turns sort of murkey... But hey, it keeps the plants healthy.
smile_n_32.gif
Yum!
Nevermore, you've got the right idea. If you have a plant that will produce pitchers to hold a lof of bugs, you should block the opening for a while to let the pitchers "fill out" a bit more. This way they'll be able to hold more and last longer.

You may just get a patch of brown at the bottom, but only in rare cases does it spread upwards. I would just leave them.

Hello to all;
After searching all the websites and all possible books, I have not managed to pinpoint the causes of scientific indigestion a jaw!
However, I managed to get 1 case:
-If the captured prey is too large, the secretion may last several hours. The plant secretes too much digestive enzyme that reabsorption occurs. Enzymes are stagnant within the jaw and the plant "self-digest" in some sorts.
After this statement, I hope you can give me scientific answers to my questions:
- I wonder how the plant may secrete it TOO enzymes, in fact, I know that the glands have a secretory role of regulator concentration was within the jaw tightly closed.
-Secondly, I want to know why secreting glands can no longer reabsorb material they secreted? Indeed, in any normal digestion, glands reabsorb the nutrients that the enzymes have broken down.

With a very short time, I hope to get answers from you.

Thank you in advance for any scientific explanation that I could receive.
PS: If you have a site that meets these scientific questions, I am preneu

we have love bugs really bad here at times, and the pitchers will get so full they will flop over from the weight. It has never occured to me to do anything about it. No one's out there in the wild helping the plants out when they catch too many bugs. It's not going to hurt it.

Back