What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Freeloading spiders

It looks like my Sarracenias are being overrun by spiders. I checked tonight and counted four webs on all 3 plants and even some critters spinning homes inside my flavas (which despite being off-season are throwing out some very nice pitchers). Is there any way to get these guys to move out or are they harmless? For some reason they stay away from the VFTs (for obvious reasons), Droseras, and my S. Purpurea.

I've found that spiders are harmless to my sarracenias. They might "steal" prey from your plants, but I'm sure your plants get plenty of nutrients anyway. If they ever bother you, you can always move them to another part of your backyard or....
smile_n_32.gif

Well the spiders aren't smart enough to stay away from my VFT's. 90% of what they eat are Long leg spiders. All 8 legs sticking out of the traps.. Still trying to figure out how they manage to get themselves caught..

I just evicted a juicy spider out of one of my flavas. I put him on a clump of VFT's. I don't have to tell you what happened next.....

Dunno about the long-legged spiders (only caught a few) but the regular spiders like to lick off the sap from just on the inside lining of the trap. Day after day, they move too slowly around the trap to get caught. But eventually they'll trigger it. As for the sarracenias, a good flick of the pitcher will usually take care of them.

The spiders on the outside are garden spiders. I like those guys... they kill any mosquitos we have around the house. But the ones in the flava are those that spin a tight knit web (not the funnel) almost like a cacoon. Those bother me.

Yar, I was having problems with spiders for a while. My solution: The 500mL version of these

d0040.jpg

A couple of squirts and they usually find themselves in the fluids of the pitchers. I've found that a VFT planted with my Sarracenias actually does help with spiders, though. Maybe your spiders are just smarter than mine.
biggrin.gif

smile_k_ani_32.gif
You guys should learn to love spiders. Without them we would be several feet deep in bugs every year. If I see them any where near my VFTs I rescue them before they get munched and put them somewhere safe. Ok they steal the odd meal from the mouth of a sarra, but the sarras still get plenty.

I love spiders. I caught one in my house and named him Frankie. He lived for about a year

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
smile_k_ani_32.gif
You guys should learn to love spiders. Without them we would be several feet deep in bugs every year. If I see them any where near my VFTs I rescue them before they get munched and put them somewhere safe. Ok they steal the odd meal from the mouth of a sarra, but the sarras still get plenty.

I don't go out of my way to harass spiders or something. I don't put them in to my VFTs either, and the blast of water in to the Sarras normally just breaks the web. Let's just say that I've evening the playingfield.
laugh.gif

Back