What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarras not doing so hot...

I have a S. Leucophylla and a 'dana's delight'. Both were purchased and potted close to about 2 months ago. The Leuco has sent up a smaller new pitcher and tons of non carnivorous leaves. I'm not too worried about that guy although I've read that this type flourishes in late summer and fall. However, My 'dana's delight' is looking very weak. It's not dead but there have been no new signs of growth. Could she be going dormant this early? Could they still be in shock from shipping? I have these outdoors in a minimum of 8 hours of sunlight a day and pots are flooded frequently or top watered.

well these plants are not imortal and they seldomly die but thier death is extremely easy to prevent. i suggest looking for root rot and pests, i never flood any carnivourus plant unless aquatic , i allways use the tray method, this avoids root rot. the plant is doomed if it has root rot.

good luck, if its root rot, you'll need it

confused.gif

There probably won't be signs of new growth as it doesn't grow pitchers none stop throught the season. As long as it's still holding it's foliage and there's no sign of fungus or pests, it's probbaly fine.

Tissue cultured plants are also rushed to the the earliest possible saleable size, so if its only been in your possession a short time, then it'll only be the equivalent of 4 or 5 years old.

Nope, not root rot. The rhizome is very sturdy and seems healthy. No signs of pests either. I guess it's just in limbo or something for now. Interesting to point out that I noticed today my S.flava just divided into 4 plants and is flowering... at the end of August! talk about a mixed up schedule but it's a good sign I might be doing something right.  
smile.gif

Awesome! Last weekend I finally had it with 2 of the forementioned Sarras not producing any new growth after almost 2 months. However my S. flava has been growing like a weed but it's been growing in a different soil mix. So I repotted my Leuco and Dana's Delight in 50/50 peat/pearlite like the flava and BLAMO!... tons of new pitchers, and just after a week. I never realized how much of an effect different media could have on my plants. Then again being these particular Sarrs are fall plants might have something to do with it but their previous mix was much to dense and heavy.

-dances around all happy-

The correct phraseology, a la Flytrapgurl is: *dances like an idiot*
smile_m_32.gif

Congrats!

Back