What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TF Rendezvous in Portland, OR

'Sounds great. The more the merrier.

Attention Oregon and Washington growers:

Several local growers and I hold a meeting on the second Saturday of every month to discuss, show, and giveaway carnivorous plants. The participants range from Forestry Service employees to students, and nursery owners to simple hobbyists, who all have a common interest in these plants. Nearly every genera of carnivorous flora is discussed or brought in, including Nepenthes, Heliamphora, Drosera, Dionaea, Cephalotus, Darlingtonia, Sarracenia, Utricularia, Pinguicula, etc.. We hope to encourage anyone with an interest in plants to attend, even those who are totally unfamiliar with botanical carnivory.

We will be meeting at the Moon & Sixpence British Pub (2014 NE 42nd Ave, Portland, OR) at 3 p.m. on Saturday, October 12th. We usually stay for a few hours, so don't worry about showing up late. Minors are allowed in the pub, which also serves great British pub food and usually hosts a gypsy jazz band.

Remember, this is just a casual meeting of like-minded carnivorous plant enthusiasts and will not have any of the formalities of a Society meeting (we're generally not fans of Robert's Rules).

For those attending, simply look for a group of people with a table full of plants.

Hope to see some new faces this weekend!

One last thing..

If everyone could bring some plants to "show and tell" tomorrow, that would be great. I'm expecting more attendees than usual, many of whom probably don't grow these plants, so it would be nice to show a somewhat diverse representation of CPs.

I'll see you guys tomorrow!

Whew, that was fun! I hope everyone else had as good a time as I did. And a record turnout. I want to thank Jeff and Jacob for all the plants they donated. Our server and bartender even went home with nep plants!

I agree. Good times and nice to see new faces! The dozens and dozens of plants Jeff and Jacob brought to giveaway was the icing on the cake.

A little late posting, but life gets in the way sometimes.

Yes, a great turnout and a good time was had by all, always nice to see new faces. It was nice to have our local CP vendor attend our get-together as well and I hope to see them come often. Jeff and Jacob gave away over 50 Nepenthes at this meet!! I put my blinders on and managed to came home with only one plant, a Utricularia dichotoma from generous Mark, and all the plants I brought found good homes and I now have space in the house for more ceph propagation. The photo below is three tables full of plants at this meet, a record for sure.

10320071245_96680e1d68_z.jpg
[/url] Portland CP meet Oct. 2013 by Djoni C, on Flickr[/IMG]

I'm glad you got photos, Dj. This was one to remember!

Just a notice to say that a week from today, which will be Nov. 9, is our next get-together. 'Hope to see you there!

Not sure if we will have the same turnout as in October, but should be fun. See you guys there!

thats gross ;]
almost glad i was unable to attend

A little late posting, but life gets in the way sometimes.

Yes, a great turnout and a good time was had by all, always nice to see new faces. It was nice to have our local CP vendor attend our get-together as well and I hope to see them come often. Jeff and Jacob gave away over 50 Nepenthes at this meet!! I put my blinders on and managed to came home with only one plant, a Utricularia dichotoma from generous Mark, and all the plants I brought found good homes and I now have space in the house for more ceph propagation. The photo below is three tables full of plants at this meet, a record for sure.

10320071245_96680e1d68_z.jpg
[/url] Portland CP meet Oct. 2013 by Djoni C, on Flickr[/IMG]

See ya all tomorrow. I will be bringing some sarr seed that need a home to sprout in if anyone is interested.

It's time to announce the next get-together/meeting for Dec. This will be at the regular place (see the first entry on this thread) on Saturday Dec. 14 at 3:00 PM. For this meeting there will be a plethora of sarracenia seedlings and some sundews as well to give away. There may well be some other stuff, also. Bring your excess plants to give away, bring your need for an enlarged collection or just bring yourself. We are looking forward to meeting you!

I will be bringing LOTS of leucophylla 1-year-old seedlings donated for giveaway by John Brittnacher. These are crosses between John and Mike Wang's best leucophylla clones. There will also be some Drosera ultramafica x spatulata plants and D. binata seed for giveaway, also donated by John.

Hope to see lots of people at the meet. :-D

If anyone is a sundew lover and doesn't grow Drosera ultramafica x spatulata I recommend it. Here is a plant that could give D. capensis a run for its money as far as ease of growth and vigor go. And it is beautiful having a very red color. We have 5 of these to give away.

Just a note to point out that the next get together is this Saturday. 'Hope to see you there!

I might make it up that way on Saturday. I am going to try to attend the open house out in Eagle Creek then possibly head up. Would be cool to meet everyone.

Sorry I can't make it today, guys. I'll be there in spirit while I stew in the lone star state. Take plenty of photos.

Well that was a lot of fun. Was really nice to sit and talk to people that share the love for growing CPs. I really hope to be able to make it out for more of these. Maybe next time I will drag the family along since the pub is kid friendly.

The bangers and mash was awesome. Think I might have found my new Portland dinner stop.

Oregoncp - It was nice to meet you. I'm so glad you could be there and that you enjoyed yourself. It was great that Jacob and Jeff made it, too. So far I have always had fun when we do this. Sometimes the month wait in-between meetings seems excessive. :)

Today marks one week until our first meeting of 2014. It's a nice way to drag yourself out of the dark and the rain and focus on your beloved carnivores with like-minded individuals. As always we will be at the Moon and Sixpence Pub at 3:00 PM, Sat. January 11. All are welcome!

Back