What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TF Rendezvous in Portland, OR

Another reminder that the next meet will be this coming Saturday at the Moon & Sixpence in Portland, Oregon, starting at 3 pm. I will have some packets of location-specific S. purpurea seed available for giveaway at the meet and possibly some other goodies as well, compliments of Johnny (Cthulhu138)! There are usually some nice giveaway plants at every meet, so don't miss out and all who can make it are welcome to join us :-D

I have an assortment of seeds as well and even got some Sarracenia seeds for the first time this year. The bumblebees sure don't like my plants.

I just remembered I have a wedding to go to on Saturday. Terrible timing I'd say since it sounds like Djoni has some great stuff to show off this month.

Just to let you all know, I forgot that the post office was closed on Wednesday so the S.purpurea seeds haven't gone out yet. Djoni will have them for your December get together though.

December should be great for those.

As a note, I have some beautiful little D. slackii plants that I will be bringing this time for giveaway.

:drool: I'll be there!

See you guys at 3

November's photos

I certainly need to bone up on how to use my camera in low-light situations. Just the same, here's what I got at the meeting last weekend:

PB146904.jpg

Sweet Heliamphora

PB146905.jpg

Nice poi dog Nepenthes.

PB146906.jpg

PB146909.jpg

PB146908.jpg

PB146912.jpg

PB146914.jpg

PB146916.jpg

Ant plants!

PB146915.jpg

PB146911.jpg

Truly gigantic Pinguicula gigantea.

PB146913.jpg

Drosera oblanceolata

Do I spy a Stylidium debile? Looks like I really missed out!

Nice pics Mark! Thanks for posting them. So nice to see all the nice growing plants people bring when my stuff is all dormant and ugly, haha.

Here we go again! The December meeting is next Saturday. Carnivorous plants and holiday cheer go well together and that's where you'll find them both. Everyone's welcome!

I'll get back from hawaii two days before the meeting so I'll be there!

I will also be there and will be bringing some giveaway packets of S. purpurea, Ponemah Bog, Amherst, NH, and other seed that Johnny so graciously donated to spread around at the meet, so if you are interested this meet is your chance to obtain some of these :-D

I have a bunch of various seeds as well. I just need to figure out how to package them...

I have a bunch of various seeds as well. I just need to figure out how to package them...

What kind of seed? Here is what I like to use, homemade seed packets: ICPS Seed Bank

If you want to get fancy, for small seed you can do this and put into the little paper envelopes: ICPS Seed Bank

When I ship seed I use the wax paper method and put those in coin envelopes, less bulk in the mailing envelope.

Last edited:
I have a variety of Drosera, Dionaea, and even some Sarracenia seeds. Speaking of which, any advice on getting seeds out of a D. filiformis flower stalk? The seed pods are quite hard.

i'll be there too. i might have a few seeds, we'll see how my collecting skills are.

I have a variety of Drosera, Dionaea, and even some Sarracenia seeds. Speaking of which, any advice on getting seeds out of a D. filiformis flower stalk? The seed pods are quite hard.

If the filiformis seed pods are still hard it means they are not mature yet and will open on their own when mature. Even if you miss their opening, there is usually plenty of seed left in the pods for you to collect. If the plants are outside and have formed hibernacula, likely the pods will never mature. If actively growing inside, wait until the pods are softer and try opening them with slight pressure and twisting the pod between your fingers, or cut the flower stalks and put them into a container and wait for them to open on their own - but they have to be far enough along in maturity for this to work.

Oh I cut the flower stalks off 2 months ago after they were completely brown. I didn't have any trouble with D. intermedia.

Might be you cut the stalks too early. Cut them open and see if there are any developed seeds in them. If not and you want some filiformis seed, I can bring a bunch to the meet for you tomorrow? These are seed from my 'Portland Sunrise' plants.

Back