What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TF Rendezvous in Portland, OR

I've been impressed so far at how many people bring seeds and seedlings for trade, definitely been a lucrative meet to attend.

Make sure you order food early on or else you'll be stuck waiting for like 30 minutes for like a side of fries

That pic of me behind the nepenthes is crazy haha

It is nice to have faces to go with the plants - even if I'm not much of a portrait photographer! ;)

I just want to remind all who might be interested that next Saturday the 10th is the day of our December get-together at the Moon and Sixpence. I really don't know what I am going to bring to show this month but I do have some options. I'm guessing that some of you find the winter growing season to be a bearer of green gifts as well. All are welcome! 'Hope to see you there.

Anyone interested in B. guehoi cuttings? The one I got from Mark has gone out of control and has a branch that is covering an entire pot of D. finlaysoniana seedlings and I gotta trim it back, but I don't have the space for more cuttings. If there is any interest, I'll bring some cuttings in plastic bags for people to take, you burry a node under the soil and a plant should sprout. If kept well watered, new plants should even sprout from nodes that are not at soil level, pretty easy to get plants from.

Last edited:
I didn't know you could grow those from cuttings. I'll give it a shot (if I can find space.)

oh yeah, I'm down for a guehoi sprig
and you'll have your ping cutting from me too, don't forget
might bring some goodies, maybe I'll have some leftover seed

December's photos

It was a fun meeting this last Saturday, and it even ended with a flood of Santas coming into the pub. It is Christmas time after all.

PC107911.jpg
Utricularia calycifida and Pinguicula 'Sethos'.

PC107912.jpg
Our good friend Jacob and a magnificent Heliamphora heterodoxa form.

PC107914.jpg
Nepenthes "Bill Bailey"

PC107915.jpg
I'm told that this Cephalotus was covered with snow several days earlier. 'Still looks good!

PC107918.jpg
N.glabrata x aristolochioides

PC107920.jpg

PC107921.jpg
P. ehlersiae, perhaps?

PC107923.jpg
Byblis guehoi cutting.

PC107924.jpg
:-D

That's a Heliamphora nutans actually, though Jacob was suspecting it's a hybrid.

Here's the one-week warning, ha! Our January meeting is next Saturday, Jan. 14th. Everyone is most welcome. :boogie:

Based on how much snow fell last night and the temperatures in the forecast, I think it's unlikely that me or many other people will be able to make it on Saturday. I don't know if anyone's open to reschedule but it seems like a good idea at the moment. I realize that it's difficult to contact some of the people who show up, but with this weather I don't think many would show up this weekend anyway.

On the rare occasion when we cancelled due to weather it was just called for the month, if I remember correctly though I haven't found those posts in last years'. Maybe we did that the year before? I agree that there are so many people who come who don't visit this forum that they wouldn't get the news. But it is Wed. and a lot can happen by Saturday, though it is supposed to be below freezing until then. I would expect the streets will be mostly clear in a few days. 'Just my thoughts.

Only the major streets might be clear in my area by Saturday, and I'm dubious about making it that far with so much snow on the ground. I suppose I'll have to wait and see.

Oregonians and the weather. . . :-))

Yes I'm sure everyone up in Alaska is laughing at us, but 7" where I live, 9" in the city, and up to 15" other places is setting records and making a big mess of the roads. It takes a while for the major roads to get plowed and the side roads never do. This doesn't happen enough for it to be cost-effective for the cities to maintain a good-sized fleet of plows.

Yeah you are right. I was in Portland a few winters back and there was a foot or more of snow. It was total chaos. Almost none of the roads were plowed, pedestrians were walking in the streets instead of the snow sidewalks, bicyclists were crashing everywhere. . . XD

So I'm not sure who all is gonna be able to attend tomorrow's meet, but I know that I should definitely be there, and I believe [MENTION=12128]ScatterPants[/MENTION] will be there (we both have flowering emarginata we want to cross anyways). I believe that Carson should be able to make it (sorry forgot your username), at least from what I have heard.

If not a lot of other people are going to be able to attend, should we make another meet next saturday? I can't really speak for everyone else, but I would be totally down to have a second meet this January. These dark winter days have been getting me down, I need to hang out with some CP people :-D

I will try to make it. I did manage to get to the store today and the major roads are in surprisingly good shape, but couldn't quite make it back home (horray for living on a hill!) That will hopefully make it easier to get out of here again tomorrow, though I'll likely have to investigate alternate routes since I'm sure the offramp I usually take on I-84 will be a bad spot.

I will be there. It is dry and no precipitation is expected to cause icy conditions. The main roads are clear so I don't anticipate any problems on the freeways for me, and from home I have to travel hwy 26 to I-5 over the marquam bridge and onto I-84 to get to the pub. Our side streets are still very snowy (we got 8" of snow and it is not melting off very fast if at all), but it is clear and dry pavement where cars have been traveling, just follow the tracks, ha. If I lived on a hill it might be different and cause me to reconsider though.

Yes, I'll be there too!

Back