What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TF Rendezvous in Portland, OR

Great photos again Mark, but no surprise there, ha! We should put together a photo album thread here of all the great stuff brought to our meets over time.

You are the official photographer of our group :poke:

It has been proposed that we continue with posts of photos from our meetings in a new dedicated thread on this forum created for that purpose. We would not move those previously posted but only post photos from this date and beyond there. This thread would continue as a place to make announcements and comments. Does anybody object to that?

I also want to announce that a week from today - March 11, is our next meeting in Portland. All are welcome. :)

Last edited:
The steak fries in the cephalotus :-))

I'm going to try to make it, if the Bolt Bus cooperates. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then here's to the health of the Bolt Bus! 'Hope you can make it.

Hi all-

I've been on the forum about a year, reading and learning. I plan on being in Portland this weekend. I was going to try to stop by on Saturday. It'll be fun to meet and chat with other CP folks.

Jacob from SNW will be attending the meet on Saturday. Often times they bring giveaway plants to the meets so be prepared to add new goodies to your collection!

[MENTION=8688]DJ57[/MENTION] Think they will be bringing some of those grandiflora? (Also, are they the same clone as yours? I am always down to get my hands on more temperate pings, even species I already have, but won't pay for the same clone).

[MENTION=8688]DJ57[/MENTION] Think they will be bringing some of those grandiflora? (Also, are they the same clone as yours? I am always down to get my hands on more temperate pings, even species I already have, but won't pay for the same clone).

I have no idea what he might be bringing. Yes, I got my original P. grandiflora from them so what I have are progeny from that clone. You might ask him at the meet what other temperate pings they might have available, I know they used to have a few other species. I have not been out there in a while so don't know.

Ah, we actually had a dry day today so I was able to get out and get some plant work done. So, tomorrow will be the start of my "adopt a sarracenia" program (aka collection reduction) I will be doing at the meets throughout the season. Tomorrow I will be bringing some "lost tag" hybrid sarr rhizomes (bare root) and some potted for giveaway.

I got out and gave all my Sarrs a haircut today too. On Sunday (also dry!) I'm hoping to get through all the repotting and division I need to do, and as I discovered today multiple cases of rhizome rot I need to take care of. Oh joy.

I did all the hair cutting a few weeks ago. Now comes the dividing and repotting marathon that will probably take a good part of spring to finish up if this rain keeps up unless I can unload a lot of bare-root rhizomes as I go to save potting time, not to mention space, ha. The rain is needed to keep my water tubs full, but I am sure hoping for at least a week straight of dry weather here soon.

Sorry to hear about the rhizome rot! Hope you can save the affected plants.

I saved 2 plants from it last year (now I have 4-5 of each!) and there's at least 2 trying to rot on me again this year. It may be a holdover from my bad peat last year, the harsh winter weather, or a combination.

Well damn, the last Bolt Bus back to Seattle was leaving at 6, and I have to work tomorrow morning, so I'll try another time. Probably May. Hope you had a great meeting and I'll look forward to seeing posts about it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's too bad, but we'd be happy to have you any time you can make it.

Nice to meet everyone and see some great plants. I never got to visit with the person who brought the Drosera graomogolensis to ask about growing conditions. This is one I was thinking about trying someday, but wanted to see if I could meet its needs. Could you post how you are growing it (lighting, media, etc.). You obviously are doing a great job.

Looking forward to visiting again with the group.

Nice to meet everyone and see some great plants. I never got to visit with the person who brought the Drosera graomogolensis to ask about growing conditions. This is one I was thinking about trying someday, but wanted to see if I could meet its needs. Could you post how you are growing it (lighting, media, etc.). You obviously are doing a great job.

That would be Mark (Bluemax). He is out of town for the week but would be more than happy to share info with you so you might want to shoot him a PM. I think he said he would be returning Friday or Saturday.

It was nice to meet you also and glad you had a good time. Hope to see you again next month!

D. graomogolensis is probably the easiest South American species. It doesn't care much about humidity and you can pretty much just treat it like any other subtropical sundew. The only caveat is that it does not like root disturbance, which I believe is the main reason behind a lot of people's perceptions that the species is difficult. The species can also grow fairly long roots so larger pots are a good idea. We think that's the main reason why Mark's plant is so big, much larger than mine in its little 3" pot.

mark's plant has also been in that pot for like 5 years, maybe age has something to do with how massive it's gotten

regardless, you want to see well-grown drosera then mark's your man

I am glad that you had a nice time. 'Sorry we did not get a chance to chat but we can make a point of it in the future. We do get some amazing plants showing up for display. All I might add about D. graomogolensis is it seems to me that depth of the pot makes a difference in the ultimate width of the plant. I have seen roots in the 24 inch range so they do get long, and also thick and cable-like. Otherwise, as nimbulan said, I grow them like other tropicals though I do have increased humidity levels at about 70%. I use high light levels, temps that run from the mid-60's to the low-80's F. and I grow in long-fiber sphagnum moss. 'Hope this helps. And thanks for the kind words, guys.

Back