What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For those of you using firefox.........

• Thread starter rattler
  • Start date
......why do you prefer it to IE? i recently downloaded it and so far have noticed minimal superiority over IE, am i missing something? i do prefer it to IE when running on dial-up instead of DSL as it will upload all the text first and than start working on pictures and does so much more efficiantly than IE.

EXTENIONS, EXTENSIONS, EXTENSIONS! (+ tabbed browsing and security... and I'm sure I'll come up with more)

Through extensions or downloads, does IE allow you to block out all ads on the web? I haven't seen one in weeks because of a continually updated list of ad sites.

Through extensions or downloads, does IE let you control iTunes while browsing with a control bar as part of the window?

Through extensions or downloads, does IE let your browser read the webpage you're viewing out loud in case you're just too tired to read or want to lie back and listen?

Those are just a few I use and there are hundreds more for whatever you could want.

In addition to extensions, it's much safer:
iegraphs2nn.jpg

vs.
firefoxgraphs4ge.jpg

It's endlessly customizable, tabbed browsing is sooo much easier (e.g. you can use 3 pages as your homepage simultaneously) and it's just more fun to use.

Also, since it's open source, if a problem is found, everyone can work on a fix for it and depending on its criticality, a patch may be released the next day. This stands in stark contrast to IE which won't even acknowledge vulnerabilities.

~ Brett

This website says it a lot better than I can:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Firefox features the Gecko browser rendering technology that offers 100% W3C standards compliance and is constantly updated thanks to it being open source. It contains support for the latest web technologies including CSS2 and XHTML. Since it has no ActiveX support, there's no fear of any surreptitiously installed crapware on your machine. The browser has a far fewer number of bugs than Internet Explorer, making it even an more secure alternative. This is not to say that Firefox has no bugs, but the fact that its open source lets the entire community go through the cycle of detection, patching and release in an extremely short amount of time - as short as a few hours to one day. Firefox's built-in seamless automatic updates feature makes possible the adoption of new versions and/or patches.

The browser was also written to be easy to extend by writing plugins, known as extensions. With XUL programming, extension developers can modify Firefox anyhow they wish, be it a complete makeover by themes, or significant functional extensions. Out of the box, the browser doesn't support a huge list of features other than tabbed browsing and integrated download management, etc., however, the popularity of the extension model makes it the most versatile browser out there. Almost anything you want can be had in the form of an extension.

~ Brett

ahhhh i see, i just havent played with it enough to figure out all the stuff. thanks for the info Brett

IE = Internet Exploder

I agree with just about everything brett said. My main reason for using it is the open source/free part. I'm using the new beta version right now and loving it. I'm all about the freedom of the internet. As a student free programs go a long way. If anyone is interested in free software here are some links:

Word processor:

Open Office (excellent program kick's word's butt anyday)
http://download.openoffice.org/2.0.0rc/index.html

Anything Google: If anyone is interested in using all the new google programs I have 100 invites to create a google account (You must be invited by an existing member) PM me your e-mail and i'll send one.

those are my favs i'll post more later,

Zac

I've always herd about this "open source" "user edditable" but never really could figure it out. Then yesterday, Ozzy needed some help fixing where Yahoo changed some features on it that he didn't like. Not only did I fix his problem. I was able to figure out the one thing I hated about firefox, that is that the search starts with google. I'm prolly one of the only people you'll ever meet (lol) that doesn't care for google. Anyway, yesterday I found how to make Yahoo the first search option. Simply awesome! Now, I know how to get to that option screen, I just might see about changing more stuff to my liking.
smile.gif

Andrew

How do you get Firefox? Download it?

i did a search for firefox, and you can download it for free off their site. took about 10-15 minutes even on my ubnoxiously slow dialup at home

oh and it will transfer your bookmarks from IE over to Firefox if you want it to, it asks you somewhere near the end of the downloading and installing.

To get Firefox, visit this site. If anybody is switching and wants some help with anything or wants some extension suggestions, PM me and I'll be more than happy to help.

I too love open source and use OOo (OpenOffice.org) for about 50% of my work. I've also tried GIMP, Thunderbird, Sunbird and a few other open source projects. For the most part, they're very competitive with their closed source counterparts.

As you can see in my avatar, I'm also a Google fan and try out anything they release. Google Earth (now used by CNN) is incredible and Google keeps coming out with more and more programs and services. I hope the rumors of nationwide Wi-Fi come true...

~ Brett

And as to Adnedarn's example... just changing the search box to a default of Yahoo! isn't all you can do. You can also add search support for almost anything from this site. Open Source is all about making the software work the way you want it to. Not the way Microsoft wants you to use it.

~ Brett

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ Oct. 03 2005,4:52)]How do you get Firefox? Download it?
Firefox is only for people with real computers.

What are you implying PAK has?

Really though, Firefox can be used by almost any computer.

~ Brett

I have been using firefox for awhile now. Now if I can just get rid of IE. Anyone know how to remove IE?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What are you implying PAK has?

A desktop fruit.

You can get rid of IE, but you have to go into regedit, and that's something you don't want to do. One small mistake and you could screw up the computer.

IE is built-in to Windows. Just don't use it.

Ozzy, what's a desktop fruit? An iMac?

~ Brett

yeah an apple

There's a Mac version of Firefox.
And real computers are POSIX-compliant. :p
~Joe

Back