What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Yesterday, my supervisor and I took a bunch of plant pictures and then I took the camera home for some more. This morning I realized that there two more pics I wanted to take, for ID purposes. So I went next door and discovered a disaster. One of the two hanging baskets, containing Neps, cracked and fell. It fell right into my trays of LFS. Unfortunately, I was also cultivating 5 B. liniflora plants, P. aphrodite, some D. intermedia, binata, livida, C. follicularis leaf cuttings (now plants), and serving as triage. It also knocked over pots of D. aliciae & dielsiana. I scooped up the contents and put them back in the trays & basket and soaked with DI water. I'd say that the Byblis are toast and I can't find the Aphrodite. The Neps were ventratas and the aliciae & dielsiana should be fine.

The only species of plant that might be hard to replace is the Aphrodite, but all the rest I already have somewhere else. This is NOT a request for replacements - just a vent of frustration.

Anything like this happen to you?

I had the wind blow all my D. rotundifolia off the shelf they where on, but no chain reaction. Never found them.

Scott,
You have the worst luck.
Are you sure that it did not start out like this..........I have a new experiment!
smile_m_32.gif

Hope your plants pull through.

Aww, sorry to hear about that.
smile_h_32.gif
I have yet to have anything that bad happen, but I've done some stupid things before; slicing plants in half by accidentally dropping the glass cover of a terarrium, chopping off what would have proven to be the most promising pitcher yet... All that good stuff.
confused.gif

Well, you all know about my wind v. plant shelf w/ wheels incident.

smile_h_32.gif
Awwwww Jim sorry to here about the awful plant accident, i hope most or everyone recover from this tradgedy. I havent had any bad lucky freak things happen with my CP's yet but have had plenty of house plants that feel from a windowsill or the whole pot drop from a hanger in the celing due to it couldnt hold the weight of the pot anymore did damge but everything made it thru ok.. I feel for ya bud..
smile_h_32.gif

Sorry to hear that. Yesterday, one of my elbows hit the CPU fan of my grow racks, causing it to tip over and shred one of the leaves of my orchids.....sucks because some orchids take a lot of time to produce just one leaf. But nothing as bad as your hanging basket disaster....knock on wood.

Buzz kill!

I had the wind blow my truncata x ventricosa off the deck last fall right before the NECPS show - and ruin the BEST PITCHER EVER (up until that point in my cultivation experience).

I have the disk of pictures back and spent some time in the library, uploading them, on their much faster network. Here is the view, the day before:

AF001901.jpg

AF001801.jpg

AF001701.jpg

AF001601.jpg

AF001101.jpg

AF001301.jpg

Those were the plants affected. It was the Nep in the green basket that crashed into the trays.

Back