What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is D. scorpiodes easy to grow?

Hey everyone. I have seen many pics of D. scorpiodes on this forum, and everyone claims they're very easy to grow. Would they thrive in a terrarium with conditions that a cape 'dew is thriving in?

Also, what kind of soil mix do they like? And do they appreciate water-logged soil?

Many thanks,
-Ben

I tried my first batch with peat and sand, fairly high water table, and they weren't pleased. They didn't die for it, but they also didn't withstand the aphid attack about two months into their little lives. I think that my pot was too shallow for such a dense mix - next time I'll try peat and perlite and a deeper pot (the first batch was in a three inch high pot, but I've had much greater success using deeper pots with all plants I've tried.)
~Joe

I grow mine... Um.. all over the place, lol. I spread them around when I got them to see where they do best. The ones doing best get watered on occasion and get LOTS of sun. Let's face it, though, I forget to water them... A lot... They're in one of those "eh" mixes. Probably just some peat and maybe a little sand or something.

lol As you can tell, I haven't been "overly concerned" with them and they're doing just fine. Though to answer your question, I'd say that they probably like it on the drier side (that's what I've observed, though, wet sphagnum works just peachy.) They'd probably do fine with the other dew, but mine grow just fine without high humidity. Just something to mull over.

Thanks for your help guys. seedjar, I think that pygmies send down long 'taproots' or something, so I think they like deeper pots. I would assume though that they like sandy soil since they're from Australia (everything in Australia likes sand
smile_n_32.gif
) The SG says that they like 2 parts sand-1 part peat, so maybe I'll try that. Would it be too late to start some gemmae from D. scorpiodes right around now?

Many thanks,
-Ben

I started some about this time last year. And put them outside (think, Texas though). I think if you're planning on growing them inside it wouldn't matter when you started them. The pot I grow mine in is 50/50 sand/peat mix, but mainly because of the high summer temps, and quick water evaporation.

They do very well in a tallish pot, so as to allow their roots room to spread. They also like a mix of sand and peat, like 2:1 or 3:1 sand to peat. They do very well, open tray, in full sun.

So, like one of those 4 inch rectangular pots that come with plants from California Carnivores should work?

That would work. I am using a 6" tall plastic drinking glass, with holes poked at the bottom.

But how long would it work for? I mean, can you transplant these guys? jimscott, what kind of drinking glasses? Just plastic ones that start wider at the top and narrow at the bottom?

They work indefinitley. You can transport a seedling without disturbing its roots easily enough, but those roots eventually go deep and disturbing them is risky. I bumped a plant accidently and it died.

Yes, that is the type of plastic drinking glass I use. They need Z-axis, not x & y axes.

I thought there was only y and x-axis...what is the 'z-axes'?

Z-axis is vertical / altitude / height. X & Y are length & width.
smile.gif

Oh, alright. So, D. scorpiodes likes deep pots. I guess then I should try to find a 'high' pot.
smile.gif

Back