What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinkest Ping Leaves

Just wondering what ping has the most richly colored pink
leaves?

For me, in my conditions the cultivar, Pinguicula 'Weser' has very dark maroon-red leaves. They stand out when compared to all the other Pinguicula I grow. There may be other species, hybrids, or cultivars that are a darker shade, but I have yet to have them in my collection. For a true, "pink" my vote goes to Pinguicula 'Sethos'.

P.'Sethos' - pink?  
smile_m_32.gif

rose2.jpg

Another contender is Pinguicula jaumavensis:

P_jaumavensis_2.jpg

Sarracenia Northwest carries an unknown moranensis-ish hybrid they refer to as "Carnivorous Cabbage." It's normally kind of like a very large, green moranensis, but in high light grows more compactly and turns a brilliant, fluorescent pink. It stands out among all the photos of Pings I've seen (haven't seen too many in person) as "PINK!"
photo3-pinguicula-hybrid1.gif

Believe it or not, these are all the same clone, just raised on different light.
~Joe

smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
WOW!! Such beautiful Pings.. Awsome plants everyone.. Pingman, wow i need sunglasses to look at that pic.. Fantastic!!!!
smile.gif

I never see the Pinguicula jaumavensis before. Does it is Mexico species? What's kind of plant from top of picture?

Yes, Pinguicula jaumavensis is a Mexican species. The five plants at the top of that photo are some of the Yucca Do plants, 1713 and 1717. See Pinguicula.org for an explanation of these.

I have to agree that P. 'Pirouette' becomes a wonderful shade of electric pink when grown in strong light and its bright purplish flowers provide an almost otherworldy contrast.  Others that tend to color up nicely are P. 'Aphrodite' (a copperish-bronzy-deep pink) and some clones of P. ehlersiae.

I like P. ehlersiae myself although the others pictured here are also pink winners. Beautiful plants!

What about that warm-temperate ping? It has triangular leaves, and gets a deep purple. P. planifolia, I believe.

-Ben

P. planifolia has always been a favorite of mine. They do get really red. Jim Miller's CP bog tour video shows p. planifolia and p. ionantha's growing side by side near Sumatra, Florida. THEY WERE MONSTER'S! Eight and 10 inches across, and growing in semi-aquatic, to completely submerged conditions. Man! they were beautiful, and huge! What a sight!!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Jim Miller's CP bog tour video shows...

How can I get ahold of this video?

Brian

The video name is: Carnivorous Plant Populations Of the Gulf Coast.
The man, Jim Miller, was before your time, and was very well known by many CP'ers. He and Bob Hanrahan were two of the best boggers in this country, and ran World Insectivorous Plants, years ago. Jim is still around, and has made this video and some others. He charges $29.95 for its sale, and it is approximately 90 minutes to 120 minutes long. VFT's growing wild in Florida. Sarracenia stands like you have never seen, pings, utrics, everybody is there. his second bog video should be ready by now as well. If you wish to purchase one, contact Jim Miller for the pertinent info.
jim_miller@mindspring.com
Tell him Steve Millar sent you, and he will do you right.

Bugweed,

Thanks. I'll have to pick up a copy. I love seeing CPs in the wild.

Brian

Brian, Wait until you see those monster pinguicula!!! The pitcher plants are incredible, and all the rest of the video is prime CP territory. Jim went to Citronelle, Wilkerson Bog, Avalon Beach, Fla., Baldwin County in Alabama, and many spots most folks only read about. I think you will enjoy this video a lot (DVD). He has a second installment covering the bogs in flower, and the newer leaves of spring, but I am not sure if Jim finished it.

Back