What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The newbie asks more questions

Hi Everyone,

I am back with a bunch more silly newbie questions. However first an update.
My VFT is in the refrigerator. It is in a large ziplock bag. The inside of the bag is moist and hopefully all is good. Here are the questions:
1. When should I take the VFT out? Two fold question here, should I take it out periodically for some light? When can I take it out and put in back in the yard (remember I live in Florida-zone 10)?
2. Should I use a fungicide? Recommendations for a fungicide (natural or chemical)
3. Anything I should look for on my plant while it is in the refrigerator?
4. Any care notes when I take it back out into the yard?

Sincerely,
Brendhan

1. Roughly 3 months or so from the date you put it in, or (which will not be a problem in Fla.) when the night temps stop dipping below freezing.

2. It shouldn't be necessary, but if it is, Cleary brand is widely recommended and available here at petflytrap.

3. Mainly, just do not let it rot away or be consumed by fungus.

4. Not really.. it should just simply resume its normal growth, no special attention required. Maybe just be careful of aphids which tend to be very common in springtime and LOVE fresh new VFT growth.

Good luck
Steve

One other thing, ventilate the ziplock bag from time to time, or you could open the bag to find nothing but a bed of mold. You still need the ventilation. Scottychaos is the best man on these forums I know of concerning refrigerator dormancy for VFT's. Drop him a line.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ Dec. 21 2005,6:39)]Scottychaos is the best man on these forums I know of concerning refrigerator dormancy for VFT's. Drop him a line.
I agree. I meant to mention that but I didnt want anyone to feel left out if I just gave ALL the information.. lol..
biggrin.gif

Scot has a post in General Discussions about fridge dormancy, a quick forum search should bring it up.

Steve

Back