What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes in Florida

I've got to be honest. I just recently within the past 4 months seriously got into CPs. I also love Nepenthes. Currently I only have a ventricosa on my windowsill and two small sanguineas' in my terrarium. Both have been exploding with growth. But I'm a little discouraged. There are so many more species of highlanders (it seems) than lowlanders and some I really enjoy like lowii and ephippiata just to name a few. But Florida is too darn hot!!! I'm very jealous of people that live in climates like California that seem ideal for highlanders. I've thought about experimenting but I hate the idea of killing any plants. I'm also not sure if central Florida's climate would allow for lowlanders to grow outside or not. I'm worried those few mid-30F degree nights in the winter would kill them. Anyway, I'm just venting a little to the community. Happy growing!

Chris

Ya your problem is the same as mine...until now. See this christmas I got a vivarium/terrarium tank and it beautifuly upholds highland conditions. Right now im looking for a Hamata and an Inermis to start(psh ya right start
smile_n_32.gif
). its not gowing to get close to aristo or villosa but its on the verge of lowii and rajah (well sorta for rajah) I just need to tweak it a bit. I live in northern Kentucky and it has cold winters and hot summers so the only time i could ever possibly grow them succesfully out doors would be spring(not likley since frosts even happen late in spring) or fall which is still pretty hot *sigh*. I suggest the v/t and if you want more info just PM me
smile.gif

Hey! I live right here in California! But if it makes you feel any better, only certain areas of California would be suitable for highlanders. Lucky me, I live in one of those areas!

In florida, N. "Viking" should be quite easy outdoors for most of the year. It is becoming more acessible in the U.S.A. ever since Trent at sunbelle exotics began importing from Thialand.
N. "viking" is right up their in impressiveness with most of the showy highlanders.

You're right about N. Viking. Thanks!

Chris

Our Florida winters are perfect for many highlanders, but our summers are brutal! Some highlanders will take it and much depends on "how high up the hill" your particular plant originated. We've found most highland veitchii to do very well for us,even during the summer. Unfortunately, species like lowii simply can't pull through the hot summer nights we have from July to October. The main problem with highlanders in Florida is acheiving a cool night time temperature. During the summer, our humidity is also high, which overall is good for Nepenthes, but does not allow evaporative cooling to work very effectively. In areas such as south central Florida, the humidity can run very high, especially at night. The greatest degree of cooling you could hope to get would be only about eight degrees F or so. Not enough to satisfy your highlanders. You could air condition the greenhouse/growspace, but that creates a new set of problems, including a big electric bill.
One thing we Florida growers can do that no one else can do on the continent quite as well: grow lowlanders!!!
Why: simple because we are the southernmost part of the US 48 states. We have high humidity most of the year, sunshine all year! and mild winters(our lows into the upper thirties F requires minimal heating several times during the winter-nothing compared to growers up north-just ask Dustin and Tony!). We're blessed for lowlanders!!

You get used to them
smile.gif

Chris

At least we know when they're coming. You folks sitting on the San Andreas fault system...hmmmmm.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]At least we know when they're coming. You folks sitting on the San Andreas fault system...hmmmmm.

It's ok, I just listen to Dr. Turi. (sorry, I just couldn't help it)

Anyhoo, I'm lucky enough to live in an area of mediterranean climate in California. Every area has it's ups and downs, and even though the climate is good, the weather doesn't always play nice!

I know Long Beach and the coast is on the San Andreas fault, but Elk Grove is a little farther west and up north-ish, in the Sacramento valley, far from the fault line.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Anyhoo, I'm lucky enough to live in an area of mediterranean climate in California. Every area has it's ups and downs, and even though the climate is good, the weather doesn't always play nice!

Yes, and we've had pretty hard wind and rain lately. It's finally cleared up a bit, but I think rain is expected again.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Yes, and we've had pretty hard wind and rain lately. It's finally cleared up a bit, but I think rain is expected again.

JEEZ! I hear ya! I've got things set up pretty nicely so nothing gets blown over, but if they did, it'd be a loooong plummet down to the ground! But seriously, the wind has been pretty heavy lately! Today was niiice though, felt like spring!

BTW, I live very close to Nisene Marks state park. The San Adreas fault runs straiiiiiight through it.
smile_n_32.gif

Ahhh...well good thing that expected rain and wind didn't come.

I've passed through Long Beach; I think, on my way to San Diego. I don't know where Nisene Marks is, but sitting right on the fault... mm hmm...

Elk Grove is nice. =)

San Diego. Yep, thats where I live
smile_n_32.gif
We have the faults, the earthquakes, the good weather and sometimes the bad weather. We're far enough south that we miss alot of the storms that blow through here in the winter. And you can't ask for a better place to grow highlanders
smile_n_32.gif

Try Sydney! On New Years' Day we had our hottest day in 67 years, 45.3 degrees centigrade. That's 114F. Let's just say that I won't be updating my website for a while, as burnt leaves don't make for good photos. And that was with the airconditioning system going all day...

Back