What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

northiana,ampullarias,ferns,orchids

Hi,
i was passing by one of the village near the kalimantan/Sarawak border,having visited N.northiana site. The town was experiencing a small boom in business. As expected many endemic plants and neps are up for sale for a low low price :shock  

Ampullaria,northiana,rare orchids and ferns going for RM5.00- RM6.00 each. Rice dumpling from ampullaria are offered for sell at RM0.30 each.

Wild edible veggie and fruits are abundance.and 'cos of the fruiting season now durians(king of fruit) are making the appearance.  

DSC_8858alt.jpg

DSC_8883alt.jpg

DSC_8849alt.jpg

ampullaria rice dumpling.Only fresh ones are collected,Prewashed,filled with glutinous rice and added with pandan flavors.Consume by peeling off the skin.
DSC_8880alt.jpg

DSC_8872alt.jpg

DSC_8882alt.jpg

..jewel orchids
DSC_8853alt.jpg

see what i bought
smile_m_32.gif

DSC_8915alt.jpg

smile.gif
Robert

How does a Durian taste like and is it true that they give off a strong odour?

Wow Robert! Cool pics--RM 5.00 translates to what? $1.30 US??

Aren't there any local authorities in place to prevent wild collection of these plants?
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Peter

smile_k_ani_32.gif
Wow looky the size and amount of pitchers on them plants... WOW!! that is to cool, you nabbed a very very nice plant
smile_m_32.gif
Thanks for sharring love the pics.. Must be nice to do shopping there..
smile.gif
smile_n_32.gif

All those varieties of ampullaria found in the wild are amazing! They are much nicer than most of the ones you can buy here in the U.S.! It does kind of worry me though that such large plants are being collected from the wild. How many years will it take for them to grow back?

-D. Lybrand

hi all thanks for the response.

Omar,durians gives off strong smell,but the taste is marvellous.

JBL RM5.00=US$1.300. u're right
smile.gif

Rubra,yes the authority should make a regular monitor of the selling of rare exotic plants.

Daniel, i was told plants are collected randomly.Much of it are not disturbed.moreover it grows in their own land,they are plentiful
smile.gif
.But as such plants are very common(except northiana),demand is low, business isn't very good.:D

Robert

Dang, that's insane! Those plants are so full of pitchers. I want one!

Yowza! Nice shots. Those are some amazing plants, there.

So that's what ampullaria are supposed to look like. Mine have only a few pitchers spaced far apart. Also, thanks for telling us that you throw away the Nep pitcher when eating the rice cooked inside. I made some once, and I ate the pitcher.

OH MY #($)@
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
!!! As far as I have travelled to Sabah I have NEVER seen such a hhuuuugggggeee Nepenthes for that cheap. Rbjong, you need to put a bib caution next time you post something like that. Keyboard short circuits from drool is not good.
smile_n_32.gif

BTW, did you get the name of the village? Need to visit it sometime...

Hi Jason,yes i forgot to mention the village name.It's Duyoh(where i took the photos),drive further 5 minutes it's Serikin(border town,Sarawak side)more to see with sellers from kalimantan. Hope the info help:D

Thanks a lot. Don't really know about it, but I'm sure I can find out. The Sarawak-kalimantan border is hundreds of miles long.

Is it a relatively large or well known village? Could help in getting to it faster.

Jason,more info-the market only operate on Sunday.Mention Serikin most people will know here as it is one of the 2 border towns connected to kalimantan by road. Driving from Kuching,passing Bau town,takes aprox one hr.There are road sign.Take note of the name SERIKIN will take you to the village:D

Robert

Ohmigod...the size of those amp pitchers is amazing! They are stunning. I wouldn't mind doing some shopping there.

I've also always wanted to try a durian. We had a long post about those a long time ago and ever since then, I've wanted one.
smile.gif
Its kinda hard to understand a fruit that smells so bad but tastes so good.

Thanks, Robert for all the valuable info - nobody can possibly get there without instructions. I also checked up on how to get to there.In my gap year I am going to take a Nepenthes trip, travelling first from Kuching (Malesiana) then up the kalimantan border and ending up in KK w/ my relatives (is that the right direction?).
biggrin.gif
Not confirmed yet, but somethin' like that.

PAK, most westerners are too scared of the smell of durian to get close enough to try it.
smile_n_32.gif
Weird, I being born in America am the only one (probably in asia) that doesn't like durian, the other members have to fight the temptation of stuffing their faces w/ as much as possible anytime they spot a roadside stall...
smile_m_32.gif

Jason

The road to Bau ---> Serikin branch out at kota sentosa ( 20 mins drive from Kuching ),so inorder to travel to KK one have to travel back to kota sentosa and take the main trunk road to KK,passing through many small town,villages, and jungles ... jungles
biggrin.gif
.Nice for a change for city dwellers:;):

Robert

I would LOVE the opportunity to pass through many small towns, villages and jungles.
biggrin.gif
I'm an outdoors person myself although technically I live "in the city." But I'm only a few miles away from rolling hills, woods, lakes, farms, and fields. I grew up running amuk in the woods.
smile.gif

PAK, never seen a Durian in the states but Montana isnt really the best place to find one. oddly enough i saw some in a regular supermarket in Calgary, Alberta about 2 years ago. thought about getting one to try but for one reason or another didnt do it. probably cause i was staying in a hotel and didnt want to get kicked out...............
smile_n_32.gif

Back