What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

there are sarracenias around my house

I just found out that there is a type of sarracenia growing in the woods around my house. There is a national forest all around us. My husband went to the park ranger office to get a permit for a horse trail ride we are having soon, and they have pictures on the walls of plants and things that they have growing in the woods. One of them was a "pitcher plant". He didn't know enough to be able to id it for me, but he said it was all green, so I'm thinking something like a pale trumpet. I will be keeping my eyes open for it when I go walking in the woods. I hope I can find it!

BUGWEED - I know you could tell me what it is...
smile_m_32.gif

I wish I had sarracenias growing around my house... Anyway, I think that sarracenia is S. alata. (Hope I'm right)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (little Nices @ Mar. 03 2006,4:36)]I wish I had sarracenias growing around my house... Anyway, I think that sarracenia is S. alata. (Hope I'm right)
Yes, S. Alata is also known as The Pale Pitcher Plant.

pictures? ......please?

well it says you live in Mississippi so alata is most common there, but it could be rubra or something else possibly

I have no doubt you have s. alata around your place. I think you are a little out of range for s. r. wherryi, and s. alata is known to be THE pitcher plant in Mississippi. When you find the beast, it should have a prominant bulge in the upper pitcher. I agree with the others-----"I drool for Pics!!!!!!!"

thats what I was waiting for, Bugweed to come in and save the day! Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No It's SUPERBUG!!!

Dah dah dah duu duu done!!! Exoskeliton POWER!!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kirkscoastalcarnivores @ Mar. 03 2006,11:45)]Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No It's SUPERBUG!!!
SMOOCH!  
smilie4.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kirkscoastalcarnivores @ Mar. 03 2006,11:45)]Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No It's SUPERBUG!!!
SMOOCH!  
smilie4.gif

Good one Phil!!

smile_r_32.gif

smile_r_32.gif

smile_r_32.gif

smile_r_32.gif

smile_r_32.gif

smile_r_32.gif

smile_r_32.gif

MUCHO SMOOCHOS

LOOK KIDS!  IT'S KISSING UP!
smilie4.gif

BTW--just messing with you Kirk. You're so nice--the mods ususally call him SUPERBUTT--then we get ours kicked!

When I find them I will definitely take pictures. I am going on a horse trail ride on April 1 (my birthday) all through the woods around here. It might not be until then that I can even hunt for them. But I will get pictures as soon as I can. Its going to be so tempting to dig a couple of them up and bring them home! But I can't, its in a national forest area. I was excited to learn that there was some around here.

What is your County? Might help narrow the search.

Back