What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D capensis down

I know it's been said before, but I'll say it again...Don't throw away "dead" plants. Below is a pic of a "dead" D. capensis 'Albino' I got from fudog a couple of months back (yes, it was alive when I received it). I thought it was a goner (notice the brown clump in the middle of the pot). But I decided to leave it in the terrarium, just in case. Low and behold, new leaves have broken the surface. And to add to the excitement, there appears to be another plant breaking the surface over to the left! Ya gotta love these plants!

1846660DcapensisAlbino.jpg

Ah, yes. Weeds! But what lovely and interesting weeds!!

Excellent! This definitely goes to show that throwing away a plant should be the very last thing you should do.

All hail the mighty (and weedy) D. capensis!

just another reason to back up the case of "Capensis is Bomb-Proof" i swear they are like the cockroaches of the plant world! they will survive mutations and will take over the earth capturing people in its sticky tentacles(hmmm good movie coming along....) the world will fall to plants as we know it....ALL HAIL CAPENSIS!!!
alex

The very first capensis I had I brought home and placed on the window sill for about a week. Then I attempted to bring it to work (the lab). Unfortunately, it went from a 70 degree sill to a 15 degree car and a 70 degree job. By noon, nearly every leaf on the plant had wilted. Okay, not one of my bright moves, but a bit of TLC and a week later, I saw a brand new leaf. And then another and... A few months later, it flowered.

A different capensis contracted aphids and I immersed that plant for about a week. The aphids died and the plant looked like a drowned rat. But it too survived the ordeal and later flowered.

Tough plants indeed!

My first capensis was put out on the deck underneath an overturned aquarium, and the summer heat quickly built up and fried it. The last surviving wilted greenish nub in the pot is currenly my biggest and most vigorous plant I own.

Yea, I made that mistake a while ago. I already threw away my capensis after the fungus gnats larvae attacked it and every leaf disappeared. I'll never know if it was dead. No leaves came up after a month of waiting.

Back