What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bongso x truncata

Well, they're not that big yet, but they will be.
bongsoxtruncata4.jpg

bongsoxtruncataperi4.jpg

The parent to this hybrid is actually the plant formerly known as carunculata var. robusta. It has been combined into bongso by many taxonomists. The pitchers still look different to me, but they're more concerned with the plants other features. Seems a shame to lose the description on a whole segment of plants as the var. robusta seems to be the best looking pitchers, IMO. I have seen some people use the name bongso var. robusta, but I don't think this is proper. I just use bongso because it is shorter to type.

Hey Steve that look great...did you just get that the other day or have you had for a while? I like the contrast of color between the wings and the pitcher body...will it stay those colors when large?

Yes, you took a quick look at this "little" plant and went on to bigger things. I don't really know about the color as no one has grown them bigger yet. Well maybe a little bigger. The actual pitcher color is a little darker. Since bongso loses its color when it goes to uppers, this will probably lose its color if it goes to uppers, but truncata has a tendency to stay in lowers, just look at Predator. Another fun one to watch. I have another seedling that is more red that I received with the last order. Either one may change color in its new environment, but once they are adjusted, they will be getting plenty of light. My pure bongso gets black, so the previous one should stay black too. Not sure what color this one will become yet.
bongsoxtruncata.jpg

Wow! That is a great plant. I, too, really like the color contrast between the wings and the pitcher body.

Back