What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Sarracenia?

Goofzilla

I'm Stratified
Hello,

I was interested in purchasing a small Sarracenia, perhaps in a few months, later in the summer. I was wondering which plant may be best, for a beginner? I was looking at a few of the smaller Sarracenia flava, from the plant website, California Carnivores.

I was planning on purchasing it later in the summer, and keep it as an indoor plant, untill next year, an perhaps I could place it outdoors.

Any further comments would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks~

S. purpura ssp purpura is probably the best choice. you can grow it outside the whole year! it needs a colder domancy than other sarrs and Illanois is a perfect place! ask peter through email to see if he has any for sale or trade.
good luck
alex

Most Sarracenia do better outside year round, since they love pretty much more light than any other cps. Somewhere where they get light all day long, or most of the day, is good.

-Ben

Okay, thanks guys!

Then, i'll have to get one, next year. I can just put it in my garage, for the dormant season, then.

Thanks!

I've had no trouble ordering CPs during their growing season, including specifically from the site you mention. In fact, the bulk of my Sac's are from there; I just ordered one of the collections.

Also, I checked you profile, and if says you're in Illinois. I'm in southern OH, and I just put all my plants into a plastic tub (to protect from winds) during the winter and left them. Now they're back and sending up new pitchers and flowers like mad.

I wouldn't worry about ordering during a non-dormant time; my shipments during such times have always been fine.

Mokele

Okay, sounds great! What do you mean by a tub? Was it covered? Thanks!

By the way, are you a Godzilla fan?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Goofzilla @ April 25 2006,9:16)]By the way, are you a Godzilla fan?
I am! Pretty neat with the flames that he shoots out of his mouth.

Mokele:what cps do you have? how do you protect them from the cold winters? i live in KY so actually you have harsher winters than we do...please give me a list of what you grow out side and maby some pics of your winter "tub"(PM me) the only ones i know that would survive are S purpura ssp. purpura and D. rotundifolia...PAS DOWN YOUR KNOWLEDGE TO ME!!!!!!!!!!
smile.gif

alex

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Okay, sounds great! What do you mean by a tub? Was it covered? Thanks!

Just a standard rubbermaid tub from Wal-mart type thing with a lid. Mine's an opaque black one, but that's just because it was all I had on hand; I overwintered two others in a spare 10-gal aquarium with a zip-lock bag taped over the top.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]By the way, are you a Godzilla fan?

Of course, gotta love the big G.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]what cps do you have? how do you protect them from the cold winters? i live in KY so actually you have harsher winters than we do...please give me a list of what you grow out side and maby some pics of your winter "tub"

Outside, just Sars and flytraps, but I've now got all species of Sar except oreophillia (though the only one I have multiple sub-species of is purpurea). I'm just a hair north of KY actually; I'm in Cincinnati. I really do just stuff them all in a big storage tub and leave them out there, and they've done fine.

Mokele

Very interesting! So when winter comes, you just place the plants in a covered rubbermaid tub.

Yes, i'm a Goji fan, too.

Cincinati eh...i went there for spring break to the aquarium...wasnt to bad but i would have rather gone to Florida. i live in Louisville. how did you say you covered it? and what light did you put them in? im going to try it! PS i think i know a S oreophila supplier. PM me for the site.
alex

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Cincinati eh...i went there for spring break to the aquarium...wasnt to bad but i would have rather gone to Florida.

Yeah, the aquarium's pretty sweet, but the climate in FL is much more to my tastes.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]how did you say you covered it? and what light did you put them in?

Well, the rubbermaid came with a lid that snapped to it, and I just made a makeshift cover over the aquarium to keep the wind out. There was no light at all in the rubbermaid, and just shade in the aquarium, but I don't think that's as much of an issue of just keeping the wind off them.

Mokele

I will have to go to the Aqarium Some time. What climate are you in? IM in Zone 5/6 Dayton Springfeild area.

Ill have to try the Tubber ware thing. It could be see through right?

Cheers

I'm pretty sure Cinci's a solid 6. And yeah, see through should be fine, as my pitchers in the glass terrarium did just as well as those in the tub. I just happened to have black heavy-duty tubs around for animal transport, and snagged one for the plants.

Mokele

Back